View Full Version : The Prestige

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

ArthurFrayn
October 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I thought a collective of movie reviews might be of interest:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/prestige_the/review.html

[Note: Moved from Christopher Priest Thread. Hobbit]

mfarrance
November 9th, 2006, 02:14 PM
The movie was fantastic. Different but kept the spirit of the book

intensityxx
November 10th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I came to the movie knowing that it would be different than the book. It was. I was disappointed nevertheless.

Evil Agent
November 10th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I thought it was one of the coolest movies so far this year. In a year of huge disappointments (Da Vinci Code, Superman Returns, and some would also include X3 and Pirates 2), this was great.

Here's what I wrote in the other thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got home from seeing The Prestige, which hit theatres today. It was a very cool movie, probably the best I've seen this year.

It was directed by Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins), and shared some of the dark look and feel of Batman. It also had two of the same actors (Christian Bale, Michael Caine), as well as Hugh Jackman, Andy Serkis (!), and even David Bowie, rounding out an excellent cast. I was amused by how many actors were using fake accents, but they did quite well; I enjoyed Christian Bale's cockney accent, and was convinced by Hugh Jackman's American one. I was also delighted by Andy Serkis's American accent, that man is amazing with his voice (but I still keep seeing Smeagol in his face!).

The movie is about two rival magicians, in London in the late 1800s (or somewhere around there). The plot is full of twists and surprises; perhaps one too many twists towards the end, but I can't really complain. Bale and Jackman deliver excellent performances.

Enough rambling, just go see it! :)

Dragonz
November 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Great movie. Not great in a way that it will remain great forever mind. There was something about it that didn't make it totally great. I think it was the structure, which whilst really really clever and great was the over riding force in the movie and hence we lost out on some humanity.

Plus. What is up with David Bowies accent?

Ouroboros
November 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
It's a solid movie. Jackman manages to just about avoid getting totally acted off the stage by Christian Bale- which is a considerable achievment considering just how hot Bale is right now.

I think most SF fans will see the twist coming a couple of miles away- Not a major criticism, and it certainly doesn't ruin the movie. I just think most of us will think outside of the box and come to the conclusion that some sort of cloning is invovlved in the film's mysterious goings-on comparatively early.

Even so, judging from the reaction of the majority of the audience in the cinema when I saw it, it still leaves most people waiting for 'the prestige' to be revealed right up until the end.

Monty Mike
November 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I saw this film just the other night and thought it was brilliant. Genius. A lot of time went into developing that story. Great acting. Definately recommend it to all :D

If I hadn't gone to watch it with a friend on such short notice I may have considered reading the book beforehand. Though I'm not sure I could enjoy the book in the same way having seen the film.

Eldanuumea
November 26th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I caught this film soon after it opened and enjoyed it thoroughly......have to say I was surprised at the end. I am the world's most naive reader/watcher, hardly ever guess anything!

thefalcon
March 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I caught this film soon after it opened and enjoyed it thoroughly......have to say I was surprised at the end. I am the world's most naive reader/watcher, hardly ever guess anything!

I know what you mean. I was guessing something along the lines of what happened, but...NOTHING LIKE THAT!!

I'm going to give my review trying my hardest to exclude spoilers, but ya never know...be warned.

Amazing plot and characters, shocking plot twists, and the MOTHER of all surprise endings...I was in shock for about a week...

owwww...fingers...eep. If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean. Owch!

I've never liked Christian Bale, but now I do.
I've always liked Hugh Jackman, but now I like him even more. It was an amazing movie, and is definently worth going out and spending 20$ on to buy the DVD...if you haven't seen it, you have to. And watch it twice, so you don't miss anything.

Are you watching closely?

Wulfa_Jones
March 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I really enjoyed the film, but I did see the twist coming a little way off the ending.

I'd heard of the book, but didn't really fancy it and so figured it would be the same with the film. However, I decided with Nolan behind it... so I took a chance with it and was quite pleased. That said... I don't think it's something I would watch time and time again.

Got The Illusionist (spelling?) to watch next. Hear it's not as good...