PDA

View Full Version : Portions of a Novel

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Kreschyboy
November 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Hey guys, been writing a lot over the past few days, (nanoing) and i have about 8000 words. I'm just about at the end of the exposition/act 1/whatever you want to call it. In other words, I've (hopefully) hooked the reader by this point, given more questions than answers, and it's (sorry if i look horribly like a fantasy writer cuz i am) Quest Time.

If you're not familiar with NaNoWriMo, the goal is to write at least 50K words in a novel from Nov. 1-30. I'm not worry too much about conventions, but i don't want it to be toat drivel. I do't want my Act 1 to take up too much (or too little) of the story, so i was wondering (percentage-wise or fraction-wise) how long the "average" novel alotts to each parts of the novel: Exposition, Quest, Climax, Resolution, etc. Thanks in advance

Fervently Writing

-Kreschyboy

JBI
November 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Just a note, I know it's cool to do NaNoRiMo, but make sure your writing quality doesn't suffer because of the grueling pace you're writing. On another note, congrats on completing your first act.

Usually you should map out how long you want your book to be and the padding of it. I recomend you put the climax 3/4 the way to the end (give or take) and then put the resolution in the last pages. The way I try to map is
1/6 into to conflict. 1/3 major plot builds, introduction of most characters. 1/2, get characters are getting ready for the final conclusion. Here is where the real romantic component of the story shows. This part is filled with nice fluff and stuff, basically an into into what is going to happen. 3/4 mark climax. The rest I just put conclusive notes. Most of my work is about characters and not so much adventure, so this is where the characters become "normal" again, and go back to ordinary life or whatever.

Kreschyboy
November 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks a lot. I'm aware that many people's writing styles differ, but the scenario you gave seems just about right for my novel. All of the stories i write are really more about the characters' development along the journey and not so much the final outcome, so i'm probably going to push the climax back a bit from the 3/4 point.

As for the warning against a drop in my writing quality, i'm not too worried about that. One of the reasons i can't write as much as some other people in the program is that i can't live with myself if my writing is total crap. If its slightly below average, that's okay with me because i've never actually completed a novel before. Its a good experience i think. Thanks again.

Fervently Writing,

-Kreschyboy