PDA

View Full Version : Images of your worlds

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bethelamon
December 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Any of you made art depicting places in your world?

I've become interested in depicting the places which are in my head.... certain interesting places which deserve to be represented in art.

Here is my first example. This is a very rough sketch, just to work it out for me... I hope to do a more developed piece later.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/3007/enniththoldgr2.jpg

And a bit of background.
This is Ennith Thold. (Ennith means fortress, Thold is the name of the river)
From the Great Wall Mountains to the shore of the Nemarian Sea runs the River Thold. It runs through a great canyon. It can only be happily crossed in the foothills of the mountains and by the sea. On the east lies nation of Vennimair, and on the west lies the wildnerness of Mallanor. This canyon provides a unique defence to the people of Vennimair. It is incredibly difficult for an attacking army to cross.... if they try to cross in the hills or at the beach, they can easily be ambushed and destroyed. For easy passage west, a bridge was built. About halfway up the Thold, there is a great island in the river which reaches high to the walls of the canyon. It is connected to the eastern side by a natural stone bridge. The Vennimians built a great bridge from the island to the western side of the canyon, and on the island was built a great fortress - the Ennith Thold - with gatehouses on either side of the canyon. To attack Vennimair from the west, an army would have to fight its way through one gatehouse, across a narrow bridge, through the great fortress and finally across a final bridge. A tough job! Thats if they don't want to be ambushed at the beach or the foothills. They could also attack from the sea, but the Vennimian navy is very powerful and its coastal towns are heavily defended.
Anyway, that was thousands of years ago. Since then Vennimair has been greatly reduced. The eastern natural bridge was worn away and collapsed, and eventually the western bridge was destroyed too. So Ennith Thold is now deserted - impossible to reach, it has not been tread upon for a long time.]

So this is an image of Ennith Thold. It depicts it at the stage when the eastern bridge had collapsed, but the western bridge is still standing. You can sea the east and west canyon sides and the river below.

So do any of you have any images you have created to depict interesting places in your world? Or is it just me?

JBI
December 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM
Maps and sometimes character sketches (mostly for characters that I use for apearance I.E. a girl who only serves as an object for a main character to lust over).

My visual art work is terrible, so I perfer to not dwindle in that area.

Dawnstorm
December 1st, 2006, 06:16 PM
I like your drawing. Put that on a cover, and I'd most likely check out the book.

Personally, I have no sense for proportion whatsoever. I'm not good at the visual arts at all.

MrBF1V3
December 2nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
I sketch a bit at times, it's been a long time since I tried to draw anything relating to what I write. I remember the experience being disappointing, I could never come up with anything that lived up to my mental images.

But, if it works for you, go for it. Cool drawing, by the way.

B5

MrBF1V3
December 2nd, 2006, 01:39 AM
Oops, must be tired, pushed the button twice.

Okay, a bit more ... I do remember refering to my drawings when describing certain things and places, so although I'm miles away from being a fine artist, the drawings were useful.

(push the button once ... push the button once ...)

B5

Konrad
December 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
I like to draw imaginary people or rpgcharacters. Images of worlds is another thing entirely. It takes to much time to do a background to every picture I do. But I love to design new strange lifeforms. :)