View Full Version : Help find sci-fi short story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Turgut Alp
December 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hi folks,

I've read a sci-fi adaptation short story related to a guy who was obsessed of whales taking over the world, while everybody was thinking him to be paranoid, especially his psychiatrist. There was a certain Ishmael (just like in Melville's "Moby Dick"), I think there were also persons called Ahab and Melville. There was rain in the story, and some sort of dematerializing and re-materializing, fights with the police, and at the end our hero gets the help of his psychiatrist in blowing up the local whale reservoir or something like that..

Anybody remember the author and the name of the story?? I really got crazy trying to remember it...

Regards

beenorthern
December 4th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Philip Jose Farmer -- *The Wind Whales of Ishmael*

north
December 4th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Could it be the Nebula Award winner novelle "Another Orphan" by John Kessel, published as Tor Double N6 along with Barry Longyear's "Enemy Mine"?
http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/c6/a5/86a2b340dca0b9a667005010._AA140_.L.jpg

Turgut Alp
January 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM
thanks friends, but NO for both replies... it was a short story...
there was a psychiatrist... and at the end the hero of the story was going to blow up the san fransisco (I think) "fishhouse" where they kept the whales for show..