PDA

View Full Version : sending out Jitters

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Rhea
December 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Ok i guess this isnt the best name for a post hahah. I was wondering if anyone else edits their stories to death before sending them out just as a means of procrastinating? I just sent out my first short stories which had been sitting around for an "extra edit" for months. I finally shut my eyes and did it but now I am worrying if there was a typo or awkward phrase or was it just horrid. Anyone else experience this or am I alone here?

MrBF1V3
December 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Golly ... Yes!

Even when I post at the community section here, I have to edit, edit and edit again, and I know it's just fine. I'm probably my own worst critic.

And I'll still find things I wanted to change after it's posted. If I ever get a novel published, I won't be able to read it. I doubt any publisher would want to do a second edition with hundreds of minor editing changes.

B5

Banger
December 14th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah, a story isn't finished until it is published, and even then it still isn't finished!

Tennessee Williams once wrote and staged a play in 1940 called Battle of Angels. It didn't do very well. But Williams was committed to the story, and spent 17 years, on and off, rewriting it, until it had become Orpheus Descending. Staged in 1957, Orpheus Descending wasn't very successful either. Still, it's a great example of an artist's dedication to a story.

I have stories that have been doing the rounds for awhile, and with each rejection I end up going back and editing it some more. I just got back the sixth rejection for one of the first stories I ever wrote, and I'm sure I'm going to tinker with it a bit before sending it out again.

Good luck with your stories :)