PDA

View Full Version : top 30 scariest movies...agree?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

strikeone
December 15th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I came across this site and saw their list of the top 30 scariest film ever. I can't believe they didn't include The Ring in the top 30 list. Hmmm...maybe they don't watch Japanese films. Oh man it's really scaryyyyyy!!!!!!!! I really screamed to death!

I haven't seen most of the film in the list, however, i don't need to wonder if Poltergeist and The Grudge be included in it (those are one of the scariest film I've ever seen).

Here's the rest: http://www.stuffmagazine.com/articles/index.aspx?id=1499&src=gtf123

ArthurFrayn
December 15th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Not a bad list really, quite a number of my picks are there.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is indeed one of the most disturbing horror films ever made.

JBI
December 16th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I disagree with most of them, especially the "all time scariest". I guess that movie was scarier to those who believe in it. Personally I laughed. Some of those movies (like Jaws) aren't very scary and have no business being up there. They should have put movies like "It" in that list. Atleast those are somewhat scary. It also seems that a lot of them are modern, which I find hard to believe. Modern movies get less scary as they go since they care more about visual effects than about the plot. The only thing you really see in that kind of movie is someone jumping out from behind a turn or something. That isn't scary, it is just startling.

ArthurFrayn
December 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Some of those movies (like Jaws) aren't very scary and have no business being up there.

Completely disagree.The first half of Jaws has some of the most frightening scenes ever committed to film.

That's besides the fact that, however the list is advertised, it's just a list of what 100 Hollywood bozos think.;)

Ultimately what is or is not scarey,is another one of those things like comedy that's very subjective.

And I should point out that number 1 and 2 are the antithesis of "things jumping out at you"
So are The Haunting and Don't Look Now. And The Blair Witch Project.

Actually one of the things I like about the list, odd as it is, is that it isn't teenage driven,with Scream
coming in as the scariest movie of all time. :rolleyes:

They should have put movies like "It" in that list.

That's on your list. ;) I like the movie, it has a cool monster; I don't find it terribly scarey.It's odd that you would pick that one as a significant omission, when Alien, which is on the list, is essentially a remake. And far more frightening. Unless you're referring to the television miniseries adaptation of the Stephen King novel.

Gildor
December 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Some good films , and some strange choices as well ..

I'd put Event Horizon in the list, but only becasue it genuinly frightened me senseless when I was little, emotional scars and stuff like that.

sic's mom
December 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Some good films , and some strange choices as well ..

I'd put Event Horizon in the list, but only becasue it genuinly frightened me senseless when I was little, emotional scars and stuff like that.

God I will agree with that. Event Horizon is the one movie that really freaked me and the kids out and cannot rewatch. And as much as I loved the Exorcist, I don't really think it was all that scary. The directors cut was much better and gave it more of a creepy feel.

SubZero61992
December 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah, Poltiergeist is definately a disturbing movie.

Quagmire
December 20th, 2006, 11:21 PM
gotta agree with Event Horizon. I don't really get scared anymore but I couldn't sleep after watching that film.

even though the ring wasn't that scary, I didn't dare sleep in my bed that night since it was facing a television.

Craft Maker
December 27th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Okay look Event Horizon is scary and all, but come on lets get back to the classics like Nightmare on Elm Street there's are freaky movie for ya

Dawnstorm
December 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I didn't find #1 very scary either; good build up, decent ending. Utterly silly middle. The Omen was scarier, I thought.

How did they arrive at the list? It seemed more random than anything. (And: Gremlins? Planet of the Apes?)

What about the Japanese film Audition (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/)?

Or Alan Parker's Midnight Express (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077928/)?

Also, I was quite surprised by the teenage girl werewolf horror of Ginger Snaps (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210070/). You can't always run away from the things that scare you...

Like humor, what you're afraid of is personal, I guess.