View Full Version : Brainstorm this for me

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Glelas
December 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I have an outline of a novel and some characters fleshed out, even some details for certain scenes and chapters. This is in the extreme early stages of a story. I have a realm run by yup, a King, his court etc...traditional stuff. The palace sits at the foot of mountains, in the most populous city in the land. So far nothing new, I know. However, anyone who tries to cross the mountains, or border, or barrier, is arrested, killed, or never comes back. The common man for centuries has been handed propoganda on why no one shall "cross the border" (again nothing really new here). It is a secret only the royal bloodline knows...Even though this is not the heart of the story, it is a piece that plays its part....What can be some of the reasons why no living being can cross the barrier? What is on the other side? Why is it a threat to the royal bloodline? if a threat at all? Now I immediately wrote the first few things it could be: Plague, more freedom for commoners, mundane (alla Piers Anthony), evil, answers to kingdoms hidden past etc...I then crossed all of these out, ALL TO OBVIOUS...So, what else then? Anything at this point may spark something in my brain...Thanks in advance...

juzzza
December 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
It has to be something that impacts upon the King personally, if he is willing to kill his people for crossing the border or by crossing, the whole populace is endangered.

Perhaps his daughter is married to the neighbouring King, and if his people step across the border, she will be killed. Perhaps the King is just a psychotic fascist and isn't a fan of education.

I like the idea of his (the King's) loved one being in danger and a character crossing the border out of sheer curiosity unwittingly bringing doom to his King's only daughter, thus throwing the whole nation into war. Doh! Should have stayed in bed!

It depends if you want a supernatural/fantastic feel to the story.

I would read a book that starts out with the premise that nobody must venture across the border only for the King to charge someone with crossing the very same border to enter this forbidden land on a secret mission against unknown foes... mysterious! You could really build tension as the secret unfolds.

I would be good if this Feudal civilization was bordered with a technologically advanced civilization with equal rights etc... or has that been done? How about the edge of the world dropping off into space... or is that too Discworld?

Alien experiment?

A land of late-teen, naked nymphomaniacs?

Hell?

France?

A Tescos carpark? (Wal Mart for my US friends).

Glelas
December 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
A land of late-teen, naked nymphomaniacs?

Nah, this is boring. I have this set-up in my basement. Been there, done that :D

But seriously, thanks for your suggestions, any little bit sends my pen in a new direction.

acro
December 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Well how about making it out to be another realm that is not known to the general public and may possibly be willing to kill someone from your said realm for part of a prophecy known only to the royal bloodline.

Or you could say that it is indeed a version of hell like juzzza said.

Thats all i got for now so your welcome to it.

Holbrook
December 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Just a couple of questions;

How big is the border, and how on earth does the King police every inch of it?

Glelas
December 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Just a couple of questions;

How big is the border, and how on earth does the King police every inch of it?

The king's realm is south of a mountain range that runs east and west, across the entire continent. Of course there are valleys, passes, rivers, etc that may aid someone to go unnoticed to the "other side". However, the average Joe for centuries thinks their capitol is the northernmost part of the world. Maps and such do not even show what is north of those mountains. Kinda like a "there be dragons". But in reality, this kingdom is just a small part of a larger world. South of the equator/border if you will. And you are right the King can't possibly police the range. That is part of the problem with this part of the concept. If I knew what was on the other side, I can figure out who and what can "get passed".

BrianC
December 21st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Glelas, are you asking [1] the real reason why the King would not want anyone to cross the border, or [2] the reason that the people of the realm are told they should not cross the border?

My suggested answers to both questions is religion. Make the King a Priest-King, the head of a caste of priests that dominate this society. They maintain their power over the people by inculcating a belief in demons and monsters that live north of the mountains. Only the unswerving and unquestioning faith of the people, so they are told, and the concomittant power of the priest-caste prevent the demons from crossing south and destroying the realm. The truth, of courxse, is that the priest-caste knows very well that there is something ungodly in the north, but it is only other people, people who do not believe in the god-granted supremacy of the priest-caste.

Hereford Eye
December 21st, 2006, 08:55 AM
Or, there is nothing and no one on the other side of the border. The only place that exists is the Kingdom, the mountains being a convenient backdrop to the tapestry of life. What the Royal family knows is that, should their line fail the whole thing goes up in smoke. And, for sure, there is a warped prince who thinks that would be cool.

G W Pickle
December 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM
Glelas

How about a spell cast on the border & if some one crosses the border and lives A portal will open & a horde of monsters or some such army will cross into the kingdom and destroy the royal family and establish a evil creature as the new ruler. The royal family knows the best way to stop the creature is never let him enter this relm of existence.:D

Hope this helps
G W Pickle:D

Dazzlinkat
December 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
How about on the other side is a semi-dormant volcano. Perhaps the kingdom was first established by the survivors of an eruption led there by their king. The land would be covered in nothing but new rock and rumblings in the ground continue to happen, convincing the royals that another catastrophe awaits those who disturb it. Maybe among the commoners rumors abound of the gray lands beyond the mountains and that those who dig/mine in the gray risk disturbing the stone people. (Ash killed victims much like those of Pompei)