PDA

View Full Version : s' or 's? Grammar question

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pennywise86
December 22nd, 2006, 12:32 AM
This may seem a really noob question, but I'm wondering if in the following sentence the apostrophe comes before the 's' or afterwards, or if it matters.

"Alexis('s) patience was wearing thin."

The reason im confused is because the name ends in an 's' already. I always thought it was all right since I think ive seen it used as that, but now im not so sure.

PlanetRetcon
December 22nd, 2006, 01:48 AM
Alexis'

In any name that ends in 's' (there may be an exception but I can't think of one) you put the apostrophe after the 's' and don't add another s.

My name ends in an 's'.

Rocket Sheep
December 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Yes, or you can add an extra s to do the Alexis's something.

It's optional.

The publisher you are writing for may have a style guide indicating their preference. Or there may be one style guide dominating major publishers where you live that you can follow and be mostly in favour.

Small potatoes tho. The real question is, has a tiny little thing like that stopped you writing? :eek:

juzzza
December 22nd, 2006, 08:12 AM
A lot of Brit publishers like to see the 's' even if the name ends with an 's'.

choppy
December 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM
My understanding is that this can go either way officially. I go by sound. With a name like Alexis I would show ownership as: Alexis'. The xis to my ear just doesn't couple with 's.

An example of one that would work with the 's (again to my ear) would be the name Tannis.

Expendable
December 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
I use *s' when appropriate. If your editor wants *s's, it's easy enough to fix with the 'find & replace' tool in most word processing programs (and visa versa).

pennywise86
December 22nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Thank you all for your input.

No, it hasn't stopped me from writing. A friend of mine pointed it out and i wanted to make sure.

World Builder
December 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
At one point, I remember learning a rule that if the word is monosyllabic, it's s's. If its multisyllabic it's s', but personally I'm not a big fan of that rule, and, as other people have indicated, it appears to be optional.