PDA

View Full Version : Genre troubles.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Protagonist
December 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM
My basic problem here is that I write dark fantasy mostly but my current project(And undoubtedly biggest and greatest) seems hard to place in any direct catergory. With getting too specific it's set in a world roughly parrell to our own and filled with mythical monsters and beastial races(though not the typical fantasy races) It is filled with distant future technology and religion plays a large role. Some parts of it are largely romantic(Such as charater motivations) while others are mystic and fanciful. A few characters involve horror, and perhaps extreme horror at that. Though it sounds like a huge mess it actually fits together quite well and my only problem (I wish) is it's classification. So here I am on bended knee askig for your help, I am your humble servant. . .hem. . .*dusts self down* Perhaps not that far but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all. :)

Oblivion
December 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Well, although your project might have aspects of many differrent genres, as you've already explained, by your brief explanation I think it fits within the borders of Fantasy and/or Science Fiction. Anything dealing with other worlds and 'mythical monsters' etc. [Anything dreamed up by your own imagination, as I assume most of it is, considering you said your races aren't the typical norm in most fantasy stories] falls directly into the Fantasy Genre.

Although that's just my opinion, hopefully someone slightly more experienced can help you out some more, but that's what I've gathered from your idea(s). It sounds interesting ^_^.

Dawnstorm
December 30th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Why do worry about classification at all?

For what it's worth, it sounds like the setting of a Japanese video game. ;)

Sid_Fallon
December 30th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah I would just consider it fantasy. When researching publishing houses or agents, remember to read not just whether they take fantasy, but whether they state what kind of fantasy. Researching what a publisher/agent has taken on before should help with you feeling safe in querying them.

KatG
December 31st, 2006, 12:10 PM
My basic problem here is that I write dark fantasy mostly but my current project(And undoubtedly biggest and greatest) seems hard to place in any direct catergory. With getting too specific it's set in a world roughly parrell to our own and filled with mythical monsters and beastial races(though not the typical fantasy races) It is filled with distant future technology and religion plays a large role. Some parts of it are largely romantic(Such as charater motivations) while others are mystic and fanciful. A few characters involve horror, and perhaps extreme horror at that. Though it sounds like a huge mess it actually fits together quite well and my only problem (I wish) is it's classification. So here I am on bended knee askig for your help, I am your humble servant. . .hem. . .*dusts self down* Perhaps not that far but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all. :)

Oh you don't have any troubles at all. You're writing contemporary fantasy with a futuristic bent. If you want to get fancy, given that you have some noir and some horror, you can call it New Weird, but contemporary is fine.

I don't know where everyone got the idea that contemporary fantasy writers never do secondary world stuff. I suppose because only a few were interested in doing it in the 1990's. But it's not the 1990's now, and there are quite a lot of writers doing contemporary fantasy with secondary worlds, alternate histories, or Earth/secondary realm crossovers. So don't panic, in other words.

I think you mentioned this project awhile back, didn't you? I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you.

Protagonist
December 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM
Lol, Thanks :D.
That's nice of you to say.