SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dragonheart
January 4th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Hey all,

Im new to the fourms and this site in general pretty much. Ive been reading some of the other posts in this section and such, so I was wondering some things. Is there any point in writing a story, if you havent had any training in doing so? I mean as in, I seen how in a query letter you would/could put down what school you graduted from. Also Ive never really wrote a whole story. I did a short story once for a class once, but that was only around 3 pages long. Ive wrote a few stories, but never have finished one. Right now on this computer, theres 2, one being 6 pages long and the other being 3. Plus i have a old notebook in my closet that has a few stories in it (only a about 3 to 4 pages long at the most) and on my old computer there was about 3, but those were lost when the computer died. So would it be worth giving it a try?

Thanks
-Andy

JBI
January 4th, 2007, 12:47 AM
You really don't need any clases or anything. If you are really interested in writing and stuff, you might want to check this site out.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php
Generally if you are writing in Sci-fi or fantasy you should do your own non-fiction reading to learn what to write about and basic facts to build your story. As for form, you can pick that up pretty easilly with practice.

For places to write to, that site generally has a lot of useful links and things.

Dragonheart
January 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks, looks like a good site.

I was thinking of getting some of the books mentioned in the Writers Writing Resources thread as well.

Annaren Girl
January 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM
sooo dragonheart have you read the naming and the riddle? *waves*
just wondering?:D

Dragonheart
January 4th, 2007, 01:17 AM
sooo dragonheart have you read the naming and the riddle? *waves*
just wondering?:D

umm huh? I guess ill have to say no to that, sense i really dont know what that is lol

Annaren Girl
January 4th, 2007, 01:21 AM
oh i just figured that since you were in this forum that you were a fan of the books by alison croggon....... The Naming, The Riddle and the most recent the the quartet The Crow?:confused: If you haven't you should really start!!! they are great!;) :D :p

Annaren Girl
January 4th, 2007, 01:23 AM
opps!!:o sorry just realized when i went back to the main page that you were in the writing forum!*blushes* sorry .... :D

Dragonheart
January 4th, 2007, 01:31 AM
opps!!:o sorry just realized when i went back to the main page that you were in the writing forum!*blushes* sorry .... :D

lol np. Was a little confused there.

Annaren Girl
January 4th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Lol sorry my bad your thread showed up on a fantasy forum someone that was in here must have replied to ya!!:confused: :D
have a good nite and good luck with the writing thing:D

Holbrook
January 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM
JBI, while absolute write is a good forum for information on the writing world, I personally find it a very abrasive one, especially for a newbie feeling their way.