PDA

View Full Version : Submitting short stories to mags?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

BlueAngel
January 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I have one complete short story done so far, but I have others in the works and I'd like to submit it to a scifi genre magazine that takes them. But I don't know where to start, or which mags wuld be best to submit to. I'm also unsure of the fees that they might pay an author if they decide to publish the work. Anyone familiar with this, and how to go about it?

I would like to get it in print somewhere so at least it will be exposure and publishing experience, but as a said before I don't want to go into it blindly.~Angela

JamesL
January 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Best place to start is probably www.ralan.com - this lists most of the speculative fiction markets, with payment and submission details.

MrBF1V3
January 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM
If that doesn't help, go to your nearby library and borrow the Writers Market for this year.

B5

mistri
January 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Duotrope.com is also very useful (it's a market search engine)

BlueAngel
January 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I looked through the ralan site, but I'm still unsure of some things and unsure of who to go through. What amount should I accept as payment? What are some of the publishers that you guys have gone through for short story submission?

JamesL
January 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Payment is not something you should really be concerned with, and it varies from publication to publication. I was paid a modest $10 each for the two stories that I sold, but I was simply glad to be paid anything at all because I write for the enjoyment and the challenge, not for monetary gain. There is no negotiation concerning fees. If you don't like the payment offered by a magazine, don't submit to them.

The two stories I have sold were both purchased by Nocturne magazine, published by Lighthouse Media One (a British indie press). To be honest you are best off submitting to similar, small magazines. There's nothing stopping you from submitting to the big guns like Interzone, Asimov's, etc, but be warned the standard is very high. Ultimately which magazine/ezine you target should be one that caters for your specific genre. Shop around using Ralan's listings and make a list of suitable magazines.

BlueAngel
January 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
It isn't about what I want to be paid, but rather what I should expect. I just would like to get it out there so it'll at least be an experience in publishing and for my name to get out. I appreciate your honesty, after all, I know from what I've read and heard that beginning to publish any work is often done in small steps.

I'm having some confusion navigating the ralan site though, there are category terms I don't quite understand completely. Is there anyone who can explain it to me?

BrianC
January 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM
BlueAngel, what is that you're not getting? I'll try to help.

BlueAngel
January 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
What are anthology, 4theluv, semi & pro markets? I'm guessing, but 4theluv is romance?
The other thing is on submission formats. Apparently some want text files or rtf files. For text, is that just copying into an email or the msword format?

BrianC
January 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM
An anthology is a special collection of short stories, usually issued one-time or perhaps annually as opposed to a regular magazine, sometimes organized around a specific theme. For example, The Year's Best Fantasy is an anthology. So would, oh, a collection of stories about lycanthropes, or pirates. If you want to submit to an anthology, make sure you understand what the editor is looking for, and that your story fits, so that you don't waste your time and hers.

For the Love (no it's not romance specific, but that gave me a chuckle) is a market that does not pay any compensation to submitting writers, perhaps not even a complimentary issue. In other words, having something published in this market is "for the love (of writing)", rather than for payment. Not considered, to my knowledge, as a professional sale for purposes of SFWA* membership.

Semi-pro and Pro markets are the ones that compensate the writers that they publish. Semi-pro may be only a copy or two of the issue and a bio, or maybe a small payment. Pro gets paid more, whether per word or flat fee. Depending on the type and amount of compensation Semi-pro may qualify toward SFWA; Pro will qualify.

(Edited to defer to superior knowledge re: text files. *genuflects* See Dawnstorm's entry below).

*SFWA=Science Fiction Writers of America, a professional association of, well, science fiction, fantasy and horror writers.