View Full Version : Writing plans for 2007

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Holbrook
January 7th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Do you, like me, begin a New Year full of plans on what you are going to write?

Been a while since I actually made the effort to write, have been avioiding it for a while. Burned out, confidence shot to hell, or the affect of so many agents and publishers rejecting anything and everything I sent their way, who knows why??? I have never thought of myself as the best thing since sliced bread, but I knew I could tell a story, but over the past 12 months I have even doubted that. Still, I am trying, no have, turned my back on the negative and decided to write for me, like I used too. The ideas and stories that interest me, to this end I have drew up a list of the ideas or partly begun work I have, least the stuff I want to make an effort of trying to write.

I need to finish another run through of Oracle, trim some of the fat from it, ditto with Llafn Meistr.

Hand of Glory, I need to get chapters 3 to 6 written, these I can do quite easily without additional research. That would complete the first third of the book or rather the first time period. The second time period, 1920 is the largest, the third is about the same as the first. I do need to de-camp to the local library for a few mornings to do some research;

Clothes 1914 -1945
Radio/cinema/music/music hall 1914-1945
History of village/town memorial halls/war memorials
Maps/photos of Stafford, Weston, Hixon, Stowe and Great Haywood. 1920-1945.
Information about Stafford Police station/village stations 1920-1930
Coventry 1940 map, photos information about the Blitz.
Vehicles/transport public and private 1914-1945 Staffordshire.
Roads, state of 1914-1945 Staffordshire/England.
Shrugborough Hall, staff/family and state of House/Gardens 1920-1925.
Mediums, tricks of/method of.
Who said writing a story was easy ;)

Anyway, that is the first novel I have started.

The second is a pre-sequel to Oracle, I have about a 1,000 words of this written. I have a detailed working outline as well; the novel is called Coot’s Pass. I also have outlines for three more novels set in Oracle’s world. These continue the story after the events in Oracle, they are called, Echoes of Prophecy, Prince’s Colours and Full Circle. Each has a detailed outline. Will all these books get written? Well, that depends if I sell Oracle ;) But I might make the effort just for the hell of it.

The third is a sequel to Llafn Meistr, called Hafan Arise, this has a very detailed outline, one I have been pondering and altering for a number of years. As the world of Llafn Meistr does not have the get out of “magic”, even with it being a fantasy novel, I had to work out the scenarios that the characters get caught up in with realistic get outs and explanations. I have 1500 words of this written.

I have two more novels with much broader outlines, one “Lord of Misrule” a historical fiction with a hint of the supernatural, set on the Welsh borders in the 12th century, and The Candlemaker and his Wife, a pure fantasy novel based on a “creation myth” I wrote awhile back

kater
January 7th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Wow - that should keep you busy for a few months at least :D

My single goal this year is to write, storyboard (and if necessary pencil) the comic book I have taking shape called Grey Man. It's currently looking at being 12 issues long (one a month is my deadline) and I'm just looking to have a lot of fun with it, I have a world all laid out and it's a case of walking the fine line between humour and seriousness that my writing tends to suffer from.

JamesL
January 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
My aim this year is pretty simple - to finish The Ashes of Autumn entirely. By that, I mean getting the whole damn thing finished in final form. I'm just over 50,000 words into the first draft and things are going well, but it's a long slog.

As ever, I'm keeping tabs on my progress in my live journal so feel free to drop by.

choppy
January 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
2006 was a pretty exciting year for me. In February, I had my first short story accepted. I submitted five different short stories to over 20 publishers and later was rewarded with two more acceptances. In November I pounded out over 50000 words of a horror/thriller.

I'm going to use 2006 to set the bar for 2007.
I will complete at least 6 short stories this year, all of which I will submit to publishers. With the lessons I learned from last year my targeting skills will have improved, so I hope to end up with an even better betting average.

Further, this year I plan to complete a fantasy novel (as yet untitled) and begin the process of shopping it around.

Protagonist
January 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm going to finish my novel, then flush some short stories I've been scrawling notes about from my system and get to work on another novel. (Which happens to be a kind of prequel to the one I'm working on.) Then I shall edit my current WIP. Life goes on.

mistri
January 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM
My main priorities are to:

a) submit Plague's Perfume to agents and publishers
b) write and edit a new fantasy novel

If I get time (I should have a few months left over!), I'll consider revising some older stories and developing other ideas.

Gary Wassner
January 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM
It's going to be a busy and full year for me. The Revenge of the Elves, GemQuest Book IV, is being released sometime this spring/summer. I'm halfway through the fifth and final book in the series, When Monsters Call Out The Names of Men. I just finished an intense two full days of brainstorming with my editor and I'm ready to complete the book now. I have two children's books to edit and get ready for publication in the same series as the Mystery Of the Jubilee Emerald that was released in August. And I just started a stand alone fantasy novel with an entirely new cast of characters and a new world. Plus, today's my birthday!

James Barclay
January 8th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Happy birthday, Gary! Looking ever younger, I expect... despite being a busy man as always.

For me, the plan is to be far more focused in my writing. No fluff allowed this year. I've an action fantasy to write, a young adult series to start, a standalone fantasy to plan and begin, a novella to complete, a screenplay to pitch and film to co-produce and act in. And I'm about to become a father for the first time.

Time management will be everything... wish I'd listened in all those course I used to go on.

NOM

Gary Wassner
January 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hey James! Let me know when the baby is born! That's great news.

Time management means using every minute. It means for me multi-tasking every moment. And I do, believe me. What's left at the end of the day if you haven't produced something?

Sounds like you too will have plenty to do this year. You were an actor before you were an author, right?

juzzza
January 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Ah, time management. I already have two kids and a music career, so to achieve anything to do with the written word, I have to find hours that never used to exist for me... that means I get up to write at about 5am, that gives me a couple of hours a day dedicated to writing and/or editing! I am currently going to the gym at lunchtimes and music/girlfriend/kids have me in the evenings!

In Feb/March my book 'In the shadows: an anthology of the curious' is released in the US and there is going to be a limited edition print-run of 1000, individually numbered and signed, in the UK... I am very excited.

I will be working on my debut novel, 'Footsteps' with an August deadline and will probably carry on with my second novel project, 'A distant breeze, falling hair'.

I also want to complete a screenplay for one of the short stories that appears in 'In the shadows...' called 'Monumental Words' and my agent is already lined-up to pitch it to small production companies.

I also have the seeds of a few new novel ideas that I need to flesh-out before they are lost.