PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a book from long ago

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pipester
January 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I need help finding a book I have been trying to find. I probably read it about 40 years ago. I always thought the title was "Across the Sea of Stars" and the author was "Stein".

The book is a juvenile science fiction book about a young man who goes to work on "Project Thunderbird". Project Thunderbird is the development of a starship. They travel to alpha-centari ( I think). The end point is that this was not the first time man had gone to the stars.

I remember a scene where the young man talks to an old lady who give him the creation story from Genesis, right from the Bible, with a different interpretation.

I remember reading this book in my youth and would like to find the correct title, author, and information to find it again.

Thanks

KatG
January 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Across the Sea of Stars is the title of an omnibus of Arthur C. Clarke's that includes his famous novel, Childhood's End. Gregory Benford also wrote a novel called Across the Sea of Suns that involved interplanetary exploration. But neither are juvenile fiction, so maybe those aren't right.

Pipester
January 10th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of both of the books you mention, and they are not the one for which I am searching. It is as if the "Project Thunderbird" theme has been burned into my skull the past 30+ years! Amazing how one can read a book and then try to find it many years later.

I had the same problem with JG Ballard's book "The Drowned World". I read it many years ago and eventually found a copy again, and enjoyed it as much now as I did then. I still can visualize scenes from that book so many years later.

Thanks for the help.