PDA

View Full Version : Tenjho Tenge (manga)!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Monty Mike
January 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Has anyone read any of this manga series? I'm on Volume 4 just now and it's a damn good read. Curious to see if anyone else knows of it.

dits
January 10th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I've read it. Oh! Great's art looks really good, detailed with an emphasis on female character attributes. However, the plotting is a bit flawed, especially in the later chapters when things get really complicated with different factions showing up. It had a pretty simple and solid premise about a group of students trying to gain control of the school, which got convoluted by I think the mangaka's attempts to elevate the story to something more than a highschool fighting manga.

I'm also reading another of his works that involves pimped-up roller blades called Air Gear. Another enjoyable read though it also suffers from the author's attempts at overly complicated plots that don't seem to make much sense.

Monty Mike
January 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Ok, thanks for the comments. I like Oh! Great's work so I will take a look at Air Gear. I would buy the manga of Tenjho Tenge myself if not for the fact that the western-published version omitted a lot of the adult-oriented scenes which helped place such emotion in the story.

I do not know what to say about your comments regarding the later versions (currently on volume 5), but I will take your word for it. I think it is likely that I will still enjoy the series, but the criticism is interesting. So far it's a manga that I am enjoying as much as any other I have read (but then my reading has been limited to the likes of GTO, Ororon, Chobits, Bleach, Naruto, Aria, Cowboy Beebop, and a few other stand-alones).