View Full Version : What Program?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Dragonheart
January 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I was wondering what program everyone uses when writing on the computer? WordPad, NotePad, Microsoft Word or something else. Just curious, I know its a personal choice, so not everyone uses the same program.

Expendable
January 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Abiword (http://portableapps.com/apps) - I can put it on a thumb drive and take it anywhere, plus the price is right.

Radthorne
January 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I use Word, mostly for easy compatibility with whatever machine I might likely to need to open a file on (or to send a file to someone else), but not for any particular feature of Word itself.

I might add that there is a free add on to Word that I personally find extremely useful, called WordWeb. It is a combined dictionary and thesarus that is far better than the built-in stuff in Word. There is a free version and Pro version; I use the free version. It sits as a tool bar button inside Word and is dirt-simple to use; I probably use it every day.

Ward
January 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Word is also what most people who accept electronic manuscripts want, either as a .doc or .rtf, and its something of the industry standard. It's also very easy to use.

JBI
January 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Word for text, photoshop for everything else. And of course, I use the old school dictionary and thesaurus.

Dragonheart
January 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
when you say word, are talking Microsoft Word or Wordpad?

Radthorne
January 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Microsoft Word. The only thing I use WordPad for is for formatted text files (used a lot in the 3D programs I do my art with).

misery
January 12th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I use Word, but my trial is due to expire, so I need to buy a license key. Im not too hot on the idea of paying 300$ on it. Im not qualified for a student and teachers edition version. Theres also a Microsoft Works Suite 8, which includes Word 2002 and Encarta, anyone tried it? I think I'll but it. What's the difference between Word 2002 and Word 2003 beside the toolbar look?
Sorry for my english, which isn't my native language.

Ward
January 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I doubt there is much difference between 2002 and 2003, certainly nothing that would effect your ability to do word processing or share files.

Jacquin
January 12th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I use yWriter2 by SpaceJock. It has quite a few limitations (only dealing with txt files for example) but imho its pros far outweigh its cons.

J