PDA

View Full Version : The tyrant and the monks

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Optimutt
January 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
"There is an old legend where a tyrant wants to know what his people think of him. To get the most un-biased opinion, he summons two monks to relay their story to him. The first says that the people love him, that every policy he creates brings a smile upon their face. He says that they wished he held more parades so that they might cover him in rose petals and garlands. The second monk takes a different approach. He tells the tyrant that the people think he’s a lying, manipulative, brute of a tyrant. They want nothing to do with him, and wish for him to burn and die in Hell for all eternity. After hearing both monks’ statements, he kills one of them and takes the other on as his priest. Which does he kill?"

Did I paraphrase the old riddle correctly? Where is it from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael B
January 13th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I don't know, but it seems familiar. As to the answer, in a work of fiction, the first monk, in real live the second one along with his family, his monastery and his home village.

JBI
January 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM
In theory he should take the second one, for telling the truth.

Logically however, someone that insecure who needs monks to tell him how good he is would side with the one who praised him, simply because he is selfish, and doesn't want to hear anything bad about himself.

Of course, one could argue for an adviser he would want the one with back bone, who doesn't lie. There really isn't enough info to go on.

JBI
January 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I change my answer. He kills the first for lying, and the second for insulting. None are taken as his priest.