View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Posher
April 5th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I knew could count on you guys to make as much if not more sense out of this than I can...Let's hope what feels like a sure thing stays that way.

Werthead
April 6th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Martin posted on his blog..(which he calls not a blog) about some deals not working out...He doesn't go into detail as to which deals...He says he can't talk about it yet...Color me all but holding my breath hoping the HBO tv series isn't one of the deals to which he might be referring to

It isn't.

Fact:
Work is continuing on a script and general ideas for the series. It hasn't been officially picked up yet, but as George himself says HBO generally don't buy an option unless they plan to use it, even if it takes a few years to get round to it. I think his suggestion was that if HBO buys five ideas, they'll use at least three of them.

Rumour:
The current plan is rumoured (this could be erroneous) to be that HBO will receive the script for the first episode later on this year and, if they like it, will comission an inhouse pilot read-through (which is basically just done on a soundstage with a few actors - likely not to be the ones in the final show - reading out the script, possibly with some CGI shots to show how it's going to be done and how much budget will be needed). Once that's been received they make a final decision. I'd imagine that final decision could be as much as 12-18 months away.

Even if that's wrong, I still really wouldn't be expecting to see this on screen before late 2009, more likely 2010.

Werthead
June 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
On George's recent appearance on Second Life, GRRM and the HBO scriptwriters talk about the TV adaption. The highlights:

It was supposed to be a movie featuring just Daenerys and Jon with events in Westeros as a vaguely-defined backdrop, but the scriptwriters dropped that idea very quickly as it just felt lame. They took the idea to HBO and HBO were very impressed with it, feeling it fit in with their style very well. Hence they picked it up.

GRRM will be very embarrassed if the TV series catches up with the books. He doesn't think this will happen though

Season 1 will be 12 60-minute episodes long.

They're expecting the very first, earliest teaser promos to start appearing over a year from now on HBO. "WINTER IS COMING" will be the tagline.*

From previous info, the series itself may not debut until some months after that, maybe two years from now.*

*Both of which sound a lot more optimistic than my last post here of two months ago. They may just be the scripwriters being very optimistic though. HBO still haven't officially comissioned the series yet, they've merely optioned it and asked for a pilot script.

Evil Agent
June 3rd, 2007, 09:37 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! :D

Thanks, Werthead, for continuing to be a reliable source for GRRM updates and news.

The best part is that this series will probably light a fire under Martin's arse, and get him writing a bit faster.

I can't wait!

Bridie
June 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Awesome news Wert!!

Now i wonder what tv chanel will get the rights in England. Because i can just picture the adverts... ""WINTER IS COMING...." A song of ice and fire starting this autumn!"

Its good because when LOST ends this will probably start thus filling up my tv needs.

Werthead
June 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Lost isn't ending until May 2010, and it's likely that ASoIaF will make it to the screen before then, or maybe around the same time.

Zee
July 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Ever since I heard this news I knew this was the only way to give proper treatment to this series of books. HBO is the only medium that can do justice to the books given all the sex, violence and language that they contain. It would be a slap in the face to Martin to "water down" the story for a PG rating. 12 hours for each book, is it enough? I'm not sure. I keep thinking how will they break down each book into 12 parts and I can't get my head around it. I hope the series ends up faithful to the story.

Werthead
July 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Ever since I heard this news I knew this was the only way to give proper treatment to this series of books. HBO is the only medium that can do justice to the books given all the sex, violence and language that they contain. It would be a slap in the face to Martin to "water down" the story for a PG rating. 12 hours for each book, is it enough? I'm not sure. I keep thinking how will they break down each book into 12 parts and I can't get my head around it. I hope the series ends up faithful to the story.

For the first two, yes, I think they'll have problems with ASoS, which is significantly longer, and it's mind-boggling how they'll handle AFFC and ADWD. Combine the two books into one narrative in two seasons, or condense the two books down to one season? You certainly can't lay off half the cast for a year and expect them to come back afterwards.

Posher
August 7th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Game Of Thrones should make for an exciting first season of the HBO tv series at the very least..I recall a huge jousting scene from the book..There's some battles too...It'll be interestsing to see how they go about that great big jousting scene.. for the tv show..I hope they pull off making it as exciting as it was to read about in the book..I wonder..will they use special effects..Or will they do some real jousting/stunt work for it..?

Zee
August 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM
For the first two, yes, I think they'll have problems with ASoS, which is significantly longer, and it's mind-boggling how they'll handle AFFC and ADWD. Combine the two books into one narrative in two seasons, or condense the two books down to one season? You certainly can't lay off half the cast for a year and expect them to come back afterwards.

Perhaps film both AFFC and ADWD at the same time, saving costs much like they were filming all 3 Lord of the Rings movies together? Then they just have a "double-season" so to speak, one book during the regular fall to spring season and the next as a special "summer edition" before the next season's fall lineup? Just a thought.