SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

grechzoo
August 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
So glad,

HBO are amazing. The Wire and The Sopranos are the two best series' ever created, so if they sign this up it will be immense.

I really cant wait, but I don't think it will air until 09, because Martin will want his series finished before they get to the third season, im sure of that.

It will be original too, the first time something of this scale will be tried. Could start a very promising trend.

I always believed that books into tv series could be a lot less risky and a lot better overall then transferring to film.

Sure it worked with lotr, (even then the films had to be 3 hours + and with so much cut out) but look at narnia, and eragon (although the book sucked anyway).

With a series you get 10-15 hours in a series to tell the story at a pace you can choose, much more control wit much less risk.

Plus if it fails to get high ratings you can pull it after a few weeks and no-one will remmeber it much.

If it flops on a big scale at the box office however, it could ruin the books reputation.

Awesome news Wert!!

Now i wonder what tv chanel will get the rights in England. Because i can just picture the adverts... ""WINTER IS COMING...." A song of ice and fire starting this autumn!"

Its good because when LOST ends this will probably start thus filling up my tv needs.

I doubt anyone will pick it up to be honest. Sopranos made it becuase of its overwhelming success. but look at the wire. The american press couldn't love that show more, but noone in the UK will go near it it seems.

I mean look at heroes! a MASSIVE smash hit in america, but SCI-FI gets the rights??? I mean come on. Only just now bbc have got some sense and picked it up and they will reap massive rewards for that.

Werthead
August 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM
GRRM was a bit more downbeat at a recent con appearance. The pilot script is finished and he really liked it, only asking for a few minor changes. Apparently the scriptwriters really nailed the book. However, it was sent off to HBO a little while ago and they've had no feedback yet. Some of the HBO staff who were behind the project have also now left, which is not a good sign (adaptations of other books, such as Terry Pratchett's Mort and, repeatedly, Alan Moore's Watchmen have been flattened by such changes in personnel).

The project is officially still on-track and where it was, but GRRM seemed slightly less enthused about it happening on a fast-track timescale. On the plus side, this gives him more time to finish the novels.

grechzoo
August 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM
it was always gonna eb a slow process,

i am thinking it may not even start untilt he series is finished, either way, ASOIAF is perfect for either hbo or showtime. and im pretty sure it will eb done sooner or later.

definetly too long and complicated for a 2 and a half hour film on each book anyway ;) so tv will be the way to go.

Fuxxy Elf
August 13th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by grechzoo:
I doubt anyone will pick it up to be honest. Sopranos made it becuase of its overwhelming success. but look at the wire. The american press couldn't love that show more, but noone in the UK will go near it it seems.

The Wire is just being repeated on FX, admittedly a small cable channel but still it's on in the UK, plus a couple of seasons are available on DVD.

I can't wait to start hearing some solid details on this project, I realise it must be a bit of a gamble as nothing like this has been attempted before on such a scale. Fantasy is often relegated to Sci-Fi channel funded mini series with awful effects and Ted Danson, but this should work more like a period drama with nothing wildly fantasy until the birth of the dragons, which I assume is the direction they will go. With the american mini series The Tudors showing this year, I think if that is succesful then ASOIF will seem less of a risk, and with some of the great actors that HBO seem to be able to get and the production values of all it's big shows it is difficult not to get a little excited even at this early stage.

Zee
August 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I realise it must be a bit of a gamble as nothing like this has been attempted before on such a scale. Fantasy is often relegated to Sci-Fi channel funded mini series with awful effects and Ted Danson

I think part of the reason HBO has been so successful with their series is the fact that they take risks. No other major U.S. channel would even attempt something on this scale in my opinion. The fact that HBO is considering it and (hopefully) will produce it, I can only hope they do it well.

Posher
August 14th, 2007, 02:08 AM
That the tv show is staying true to the books is awesome...As it will work as a means not to have to do any rereading.:D

grechzoo
August 14th, 2007, 04:42 AM
because hbo is a premium channel, they can take risks, and its why their shows are the best on tv,

because they dont need to appeal to the mainstream like the main teworks do in america, because people are paying to get the channel anyway.

and that why i believe this project will be a success, because hbo focus on making great shows, before they try hog ratings.

Grendel
September 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM
SoIaF being my favorite fantasy story and HBO doing some of the best original programming (along with Showtime and FX) I was very excited when I heard.

Shoot, I have been guilty of wanting ALOT of stuff to become HBO series. The latest being Watchmen. I liked what he did with 300, but Watchmen is too big to do it justice in one sitting.

Ned Stark
July 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have to say, this is my favorite fantasy series ever. I'm really excited about this new movie. But I can't help but feel like the television series might fall through, or be abandoned.
I've got some cool character choices though.

-For Tyrion, get Lee Arenburg, an actor from pirates of the carribean.
just use special effects to make him short.

-Jodie Foster for Catelyn.

-Dakota Fanning for Sansa Stark

-For Ned Stark,... Tom Cruise comes to mind, but maybe he couldn't take that role seriously. Perhaps Keeyanu Reeves. When I think of Ned Stark I think of a man with short hair. Kinda like the guy off of Fable the videogame, when he's 18 and has short hair.

-For the Hound, I think the bad guy off of Dennis the Menace, just use latex for a scar on his face.

For Viserys, The kid who plays Draco Malfoy. Just dye his hair silver and make it long.

-For Robb, maybe Hayden Christiansen? (sp.?) The guy who played older Anakin.

-For lord Tywin, the bad guy who leads the bandits off of the movie "The Postman".

-For Joffrey, maybe Makulley Culkan

-For Theon Greyjoy, the guy who played Cedrik in Harry Potter

-I dont know one for Lord Varys, but he reminds me of fryer Tuck off of the cartoon robin hood. lol

I'm out of ideas, but hopefully somebody will reply. It's been a long time since there has been a reply on this forum. : (

Evil Agent
July 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I have to say, this is my favorite fantasy series ever. I'm really excited about this new movie. But I can't help but feel like the television series might fall through, or be abandoned.
I've got some cool character choices though.In case you were not aware, they've already cast several major roles, including Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) and Ned Stark (Sean Bean!!!). Also, the current discussion is going on in this thread:

http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=534671#post534671