View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

clockwirk
January 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Unbelievable news if it's true. The series handled by HBO in that format is the only way I could conceive of it working. It actually makes me excited about it as opposed to dreading the outcome.

Evil Agent
January 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?:eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Best news I've heard all year!

He said to watch his website for some big news.. but I haven't seen any announcements. Nevertheless, last year when I saw him at a book signing, he spoke several times about how he might be interested in this exact thing; a mini series, with a season per book.

But what about the fact that the series is still unfinished?

MaCinJay
January 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Perhaps casting suggestions should bear in mind that HBO won't have a ludicrous budget to work with, so casting suggestions should really be restrained to the level of actors who worked in Rome or Deadwood. In other words, they'll be calling their British representatives to track down the cream of the London theatre talent (who'll do excellent work but won't expect seven-figure sums for it) plus a few known film faces, which is how they got such great actors as James Purefoy and Ciaran Hinds for Rome. Actually they should just get those two in it (Purefoy - who plays Mark Antony - as the Red Viper? Hinds would have made a great Stannis but he's a bit too old; maybe Tywin Lannister?)

I haven't seen Rome but I thought Hinds was great in Munich. I'm not all that familiar with Purefoy's work.

Ian McShane might make a good King Robert.

Evil Agent
January 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Before things get carried away...

HERE (http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13387) is a long thread devoted to ideas for casting in an adaptation of aSoIaF. We should try to keep casting talk in that thread.

And the two new threads about this news should probably be merged.
(i.e. http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15792 & http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15793)

Jack
January 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Argh! I just saw this over at digg and was hoping to be the one to break the news to you all. :) Anyway, this is like a dream come true. HBO does such amazing work, I have no doubt they'll do a fantastic job.

Gildor
January 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM
From his Not a Blog

Yes, it's true.

Yes, this is the Big News that I have been hinting at.

No, the Big News was not the pizza crawl, or the delivery of the new WILD CARDS book, though of course I'm excited about those as well.

VARIETY broke the story this morning. Instead of rehashing what they said, let me just point all of you toward:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

I've already gotten close to a hundred emails this morning, just off the VARIETY article. I expect that number will have swollen to several hundred before the day is out. I appreciate all the good wishes and congratulations, but I am NOT going to be able to respond to all of you individually.

I will be making my own announcement on my news page, of course, and that may answer some of your questions, but I haven't actually written it yet, so please be patient.

I appreciate all the casting suggestions too, but guys, you're getting way way WAY ahead of yourselves. Developing a television series is a long and time-consuming process, and we're just getting started here. We only closed the deal a couple of days ago.

I will do my best to keep everyone informed as the project progresses, but this is not something you will be telling TIVO to record next week.

This might be a great time to subscribe to HBO, however. Regardless of what happens with A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, HBO still has the best shows on television, shows like DEADWOOD, THE WIRE, and THE SOPRANOS that stand head and shoulders above anything on the networks. The second season of ROME just started last Sunday, and it's fabulous; the look of it, the writing, the directing, the acting, all of it is first rate. That's why I have been saying for years that HBO was the perfect place for A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

Shadowguard
January 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Surely you jest :eek:

Michelle Pfeiffer as Cersei Lannister

She has the right blend of beauty and acting ability.

Since when did Michelle Pfeiffer have acting ability?

Shadowguard
January 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Let's hope they don't screw this up like SciFi did Earthsea or Fox did Eragon.

Liathano
January 17th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I think as far as this series is concerned I would like to see all new actors. Make it fresh and exciting. PS, I think Michelle Pfieffer is way too old for that part. ;)

Hobbit
January 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Threads merged.

Quite exciting; but the trials and tribulations of any TV/Film adaptation mean that I'm never very optimistic about how books are turned into Film/TV.

HBO seem to have a good reputation, but I'm still not sure how anyone could do it justice.

Mind you with GRRM involved (TV scriptwriter an' all!) I perhaps should be more positive.

Hobbit