View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Evil Agent
January 17th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I don't want to get my hopes too high... BECAUSE THIS IS JUST SO CRAZY!

It could be the best thing to ever happen to TV!

Or it could be disappointing, like Earthsea or even Dune (which was okay, but not great).

However, this is HBO... not just the Sci Fi channel or something like that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I still can't believe it! :D

Shadowguard
January 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
The fact that the man himself is directly involved provides (for me at least) a lot of faith in the quality of the polished final product.

JBI
January 17th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I don't want to get my hopes too high... BECAUSE THIS IS JUST SO CRAZY!

It could be the best thing to ever happen to TV!

Or it could be disappointing, like Earthsea or even Dune (which was okay, but not great).

However, this is HBO... not just the Sci Fi channel or something like that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I still can't believe it! :D

Dune 2000 was pretty good, and Children of Dune was excellent in my opinion. The problem with these things are that they want to atract crowds from non-readers. That creates problems for us who know how these books work.

Corporal Blues
January 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Wow, this is some pretty sweet news! I feel like HBO is probably the best bet for a cable network to do the series justice.

If they do a book per year, it seems like they'll catch up to Martin, maybe this will kindle the fire for more books at a quicker rate...

Anyway, I gotta go sign up for cable.

algernoninc
January 18th, 2007, 05:41 AM
this one volume = one season i think is the only way to adapt ASOIAF. It could never fit into a 3 hour movie. Thes series will not be anywhere close to the quality of the books [i was disappointed even in the recent Lord of the Rings adaptation because of the things left out]. But even if they do a half decent job, still it would be a better show than what's on offer now. I think we need to be patient - i don't think the show will air before 2008, with all the organising that needs to be done. I don't have HDTV at home yet, but bear with me if this is a stupid question = do all the new shows get aired in this format?

Oh, and i thought HBO did a more than decent job with Rome and with Band of Brothers. Maybe I'll check out Deadwood too.

Gildor
January 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM
GRRM being on set is important, his influence I feel is strictly neccesary and very impotant to the sucess of the series. Yet he's only writing one episode a series, that seems to be an initial agreement ...

"Fire" is the first TV project for Benioff ("Troy") and Weiss ("Halo") and will shoot in Europe or New Zealand. Benioff and Weiss will write every episode of each season together save one, which the author (a former TV writer) will script.

... though it is way to early, still VEEEEERY exiting though!!!

MaCinJay
January 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Since when did Michelle Pfeiffer have acting ability?

Check out White Oleander, where she plays a sociopathic mother.

I also thought she was great as Catwoman in the second Batman film.

And as Peter Gallagher's dead wife in To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday.

What about her memorable portrayal of a beautiful lounge singer in The Fabulous Baker Boys?

I could go on...

MaCinJay
January 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I think as far as this series is concerned I would like to see all new actors. Make it fresh and exciting. PS, I think Michelle Pfieffer is way too old for that part. ;)

That's probably the route they'll go. Of course it would take away all the fun for us ;)

You may have a point about MP being too old though. Pity...

MaCinJay
January 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM
GRRM being on set is important, his influence I feel is strictly neccesary and very impotant to the sucess of the series. Yet he's only writing one episode a series, that seems to be an initial agreement ...

Just as well. Where would he find the time to complete the books otherwise? :confused:

kged
January 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
This unkind thought did occur to me - perhaps with the pressure of TV deadlines to meet, he might get writing a little quicker on the remaining volumes...

That was a pretty damn good first post, Petro! Hats off to ye!

We should try and send the casting thread thats in the GRRM forum to the casters...Though I hope they go for relative unknowns.

But imagine the impact on those lucky souls who haven't read the books, if Ned or Robb are played by A-listers. They'll never see those shocks coming if there are Big Names in those roles. And all the better!