View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

FuzzBunneh
January 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Woah, sounds pretty cool. I'm glad they're chosing the one book/one season format - I don't think there's much to disagree about there. All I'm worried about is the show losing steam and getting cancelled before it gets to season/book 7 :( The eternal pessisimist..

juzzza
January 18th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I'm VERY excited by this news...

HBO in my opinion, make the very best television shows, and I'm thinking Curb your enthusiasm, Deadwood and Band of Brothers to name a few!

I don't think we need to worry about using existing talent from the HBO shows already running, just about every actor would be interested in a new HBO show short of the A-Listers and even they, may be interested.

Gildor
January 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM
But imagine the impact on those lucky souls who haven't read the books, if Ned or Robb are played by A-listers. They'll never see those shocks coming if there are Big Names in those roles. And all the better!

I can see the scene now ...

Hollywood's best, most well payed actor, lauded many a time for his acting ability reads down the script ...

Say what now .. I WHAT!?!?!

I get my HEAD chopped off!!!!

*Pouts, Throws script in the air, and struts off*

SiberianSamurai
January 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Surely you jest :eek:

Larry David lacks the gravitas to play Stark. Gandolfini is a great actor but doesn't have the looks to pull off the role of Jaime.

My own choices:

Pierce Brosnan as Ned Stark

He might need the cash now that his Bond days are up.

Michelle Pfeiffer as Cersei Lannister

She has the right blend of beauty and acting ability.

Dolph Lundgren as Jaime Lannister

Dolph may not be the world's best actor but he certainly has the physical presence to play Jaime ;)

Annette Bening as Catelyn Stark

A great counterpoint to Pfeiffer's Cersei.

Ok, so I've cast the four leads. I'll let others take care of the supporting cast ;)

My hope is that they wouldn't cast any big names like this; once this is done the personality of the actors take away from the story. HBO has a long tradition of hiring cheap, good acting labor with a great deal of success.

SiberianSamurai
January 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
this one volume = one season i think is the only way to adapt ASOIAF. It could never fit into a 3 hour movie. Thes series will not be anywhere close to the quality of the books [i was disappointed even in the recent Lord of the Rings adaptation because of the things left out]. But even if they do a half decent job, still it would be a better show than what's on offer now. I think we need to be patient - i don't think the show will air before 2008, with all the organising that needs to be done. I don't have HDTV at home yet, but bear with me if this is a stupid question = do all the new shows get aired in this format?

Oh, and i thought HBO did a more than decent job with Rome and with Band of Brothers. Maybe I'll check out Deadwood too.

If you haven't seen Deadwood you should check it out. It is the best of the lot. The script is impeccable and the acting superb

Werthead
January 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM
According to Parris, GRRM's SO, the series will very likely not air before 2009 at the earliest. And the series has been optioned with a production team already put in place, which means it's slightly more likely to make it to the screen than one without writers or producers attached, but they could still pass on it. It seems likely at this stage that GRRM will only have a production credit and possible approval on scripting ideas. He won't be day-to-day on the set as he still has to write the other two novels in the series. Interestingly, it does seem that this news confirms there will only be seven books. GRRM can't very well add another book now if it means an extra year of TV episodes and $100 million-odd dollars.

Nothing is confirmed, but my guess is that the show would only last six seasons (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons would be amalgamated as the fourth season) and that the young characters will all be 3-5 years older than they are in the books. GRRM has already said that if he'd known he wouldn't have the five-year-gap whilst writing AGoT, he'd have had them older. This helps with actors (they won't grow up too fast) and network concerns (the Dany storyline is more palatable if she's 16 or 17 rather than 13 anyway).

GreyMantle
January 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM
As long as Tom Cruise is kept a couple thousand light-years away from the filming, I don't care about the cast.

Physics Knight
January 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
This is certainly pleasing news. Ever since I saw Rome on the Movie Network (I don't think we get HBO in Canada) and loved it, I thought a production similar to that could bring GRRM's books to life in a manner that does justice to it.

Okay on one hand, it could be terrible, but on the other hand it could be a great fantasy TV series. I like fantasy books, but find it hard to come across many good movies because most of them are pretty awful. But HBO is doing it, so my hopes are high that it will turn out well.

PJS
January 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
This is really, really exciting to me as well. But as far as the HBO thing, it sounds great..but they had to pull out of Rome after this, the second season because the costs were just too extravagant. Also, they pulled the writer from Deadwood away from writing Deadwood for a new project, so it will be ending quite messily. So bad things will happen and I'm 90% certain the show will not see the end. But nonetheless, the run it gets should be awesome.

clockwirk
January 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Anybody else worried that this is going to be another thing that keeps Martin away from actually finishing his books?:(