View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

petro12187
January 19th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I’m actually a little bit worried about the one book for one season format. If a season is about 12 episodes that means about every 100 pages will equal a one hour episode. It just seems like they are going to have to stretch some things which may make the show move at a slow pace. I don't know, perhaps a hundred pages is more than enough to fill an hour. Even still, it is better than cramming each book into a three hour movie.

algernoninc
January 19th, 2007, 01:13 AM
me - i'm curious how they will solve the 5 wolves part of the story, and how good the CGI for the icewall, the castles, the ships and the large scale battles will turn out. The one thing peter jackson movies stood out were these special effects for creatures and environment. These things tend to push the budget way up. The producers may opt for more dialogue, and less imagery to push the story forward.

Evil Agent
January 19th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I was just going to say the exact same thing! I've been thinking about the effects... for the Wall, the Others, the battles, the crows, the wolves, the magic. I wonder what it will look like? Low budget cheap TV effects... Or pretty cool ones? I guess only time (and budget) will tell.

This is so awesome! :D

Rilzik
January 20th, 2007, 01:54 AM
me - i'm curious how they will solve the 5 wolves part of the story, and how good the CGI for the icewall, the castles, the ships and the large scale battles will turn out. The one thing peter jackson movies stood out were these special effects for creatures and environment. These things tend to push the budget way up. The producers may opt for more dialogue, and less imagery to push the story forward.

One thing to consider is that these shows won't come out for a few years. I'm no expert but shouldn't the cost of doing CGI go down somewhat by then? On the other hand viewers expectations will go up, but at least there isn't much magic and such.

God, though this would be a true dream come true! To ensure a larger base/hardcore/likely audience it might be best that they make the release of the HBO series to start when the last book comes out. To do this would let more people get into the books who in turn will spread the word and so on and so on.

On the subject of actors, I would hope they get people like the actors in deadwood and Rome who are less known.

Shadowguard
January 20th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, this is definitely going to be awesome, but I don't really picture any of the actors I've ever seen in the roles of Martin's characters, each of which I imagine has having their own distinctive appearance.
Although, come to think of it, I've often imagined Alan Rickman in the role of Stannis for some reason.

PJS
January 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
One thing to consider is that these shows won't come out for a few years. I'm no expert but shouldn't the cost of doing CGI go down somewhat by then? On the other hand viewers expectations will go up, but at least there isn't much magic and such.

Interesting notion. I've been thinking about it a lot, and HBO hasn't been known to use CGI very much. As in Rome, they actually built the entire set for the city OUTSIDE ROME nonetheless. Not on a lot somehwere. Which really makes we wonder about how this is going to be done. Deadwood doesn't use any cgi either. It could end up kinda campy if they cgi isnt mixed in well. I hope they figure out how to work it in well.

Evil Agent
January 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they will have to use CGI. There will be no other way to do the pet direwolves, among other things. Training real animals would be way more expensive, and more difficult to get the desired performance.

The same thing happened with the Narnia movie, they started out with real wolves but ended up going with CGI ones. Also, with the TV show Lost; they did not want to use CGI, and tried to use a huge puppet polar bear; it looked so horrible that they eventually went with the CGI one.

SusanRae
January 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
i'm so excited about this. i'm always wary of book transported on to the screen, but this is the best possible process in which to do it. i'm glad it's not going to be a mini-series or movie, but rather a full out show. i'm also glad it's going to be on HBO where all the blood and sex can be fully upheld.

so happy! and i imagine by the time it finally airs i'll probably be able to afford subscribing to HBO.

nice!

Werthead
January 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, CGI has become more expensive over the years. Babylon 5 had tons of CGI effects in some episodes because it was quite new and no-one else was doing it. However, the same number of CGI shots that were in episodes like Severed Dreams or Shadow Dancing (both Season 3) would cripple shows like BSG today. When it came out CGI was competing with models and was simply cheaper to use. Today, models aren't used much and so the costs of the CGI houses have risen as they compete with one another.

To be honest, we don't need to worry too much about CGI in the first season. There's a few shots of the Wall and there's the Battle of the Ford (which is done from Tyrion's confused POV anyway) but nothing else too major. The Battle of the Camps is reported after the even to Tyrion by a messenger and the Battle of the Whispering Woods is actually only heard by Cat from the treeline. So they're not problems. If anyone saw the recent Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire documentary series on the BBC, however, there are fantastic examples of what can be done on a low budget. The funniest bit was that the Battle of Pharsalus - left out of Rome for being too expensive - was depicted in a reasonable fashion on that, say at about 70% of the quality of the Pelennor Fields in LotR (you can tell it's CGI, but it's still reasonably convincing).

clockwirk
January 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM
My biggest concern in all of this has to do with the characters who are children, and there are many of them. If you do 1 book a season, than it will take 4 seasons (years) just to get through AFFC. All the kids will grow up and be unable to portray the ages that they were when the series started. Either you have to have the TV series cover more chronological time than the books do, or you eventually have to get new actors. Not that big of a deal with older actors, BIG deal with kids.