View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

Shadowguard
January 20th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Well, if I remember correctly the series takes place over the span of about three years up to book four.

PJS
January 21st, 2007, 03:53 AM
I've been thinking about it a lot, and HBO hasn't been known to use CGI very much. As in Rome, they actually built the entire set for the city OUTSIDE ROME nonetheless. Not on a lot somehwere. Which really makes we wonder about how this is going to be done. Deadwood doesn't use any cgi either. It could end up kinda campy if they cgi isnt mixed in well. I hope they figure out how to work it in well.

K I watched some of Rome again today and noticed particularly when they used CGI. Mostly only for minor details such as beheadings and limb amputations. But I would think that since a lot of the action in ASOIAF is intimate -- dialogue, 1 on 1 fights, etc, it will adapt very well. I guess the big scenes of the wall, external shots of castles, dragons, etc, will be all thats required. I'm getting more optimistic. Soo exciting

SteveF
January 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm no expert on CGI, but I would imagine that simulating what is effectively a large, white, static lump won't be excessively difficult.

Lets be honest, the series will probably never live up to our expectations. It won't be able to recreate the epic novels GRRM has created and that we have imagined in our heads. However, the man himself is involved and it is being made with a company that has an excellent track record. For this reason, I am optimistic that the show will be as good as it possibly can be.

I can't wait!

Werthead
January 21st, 2007, 04:40 PM
Well, if I remember correctly the series takes place over the span of about three years up to book four.

Two years. A Game of Thrones starts in early 298 After the Landing and A Feast for Crows ends maybe 4-5 months into 300 AL. A Dance with Dragons takes place simultaneously with AFFC and will extend for maybe 3 months+ after it finishes. However, ADWD and AFFC will likely be combined into one season of the TV series.

The answer to this is that they will probably use older actors. GRRM now regrets making Dany, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon etc all as young as he did. He originally planned for them to grow up by some 5-7 years over the course of the series, but the removal of the 5-year-gap has meant that won't happen. On screen, he can simply start with the kids 3-5 years older in each case, which is fine for Jon, Dany, Robb, Sansa etc, but still a big problem for Rickon and Bran, and somewhat of a problem for Arya. With characters like Bran who simply don't have much screen time, it's possible they could shoot all his scenes for the entire series out of sequence ahead of time. The only complication comes when he (presumably) comes back into characters at the end of the series. Of course, they could just shoot that ahead of time as well. It depends on how many filming units they are willing to use and if they are willing to script the entire series (all 6-7 seasons) before shooting, which I doubt.

sic's mom
January 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
I am glad to hear they are doing a series on one of my fav series'. I truly hope they use all unknown actors. You expect to much from someone you already know. And the fact that HBO is doing it will mean they have the resources to do it right. They have a while to get it right. Just wait and see is the name of the game.

Evil Agent
January 22nd, 2007, 11:47 PM
What I'm really excited about, is the fact that there is already a lot of artwork out there. The book "The Art of Ice and Fire" is amazing, and contains some great work by many artists (including John Howe of LOTR fame). I'm sure that this book, approved by GRRM, was probably used in the earliest meetings GRRM had with HBO. I hope that they use some of this as concept art.

bearhat
January 23rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
I'm not so much concerned about the special effects becuase I think a lot of the look of the HBO series that are done well is down to costume and set (all done superb, especially in ROME). What concerns me most is casting. The choice of actors in film adaptations of books has the potential to jolt me out of my own vision of what I think a character looks like, but other times it just seems to cement that picture and make reading the books again even better. I'm hoping they go with unknowns for the big parts to save me these mental jolts.

I hope this makes sense.

But having said that.... whenever I read Martin's books my mind's eye casts Patrick Stewart as Stannis and Gene Hackman or Brian Cox as Tywin Lannister, Keifer Sutherland as the Hound. And Anthony Robbins (yes, Mr self help) as Gregor Clegane. He's got the physique. I'm not saying that's the right choice, just that this is how my mind sees these particular characters when I read the books. I know, I have a problem but I can't help it. Does anybody else find their mind casts actors for the characters in series with a large list of players? Is it the mind's way of filing who's who and keeping them all in place?

Littlefinger? Now that would be a hard casting choice.

clockwirk
January 23rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Littlefinger? Now that would be a hard casting choice.

Kevin Spacey. Not that they could, or should get him. But he's got that weaselly, underestimated quality to him.

MaCinJay
January 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Kevin Spacey. Not that they could, or should get him. But he's got that weaselly, underestimated quality to him.

They should if they could ;)

Only problem is he might steal the whole project, like he did as "the gimp" in The Usual Suspects or as Lex Luthor in Superman Returns.

MaCinJay
January 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
What concerns me most is casting. The choice of actors in film adaptations of books has the potential to jolt me out of my own vision of what I think a character looks like, but other times it just seems to cement that picture and make reading the books again even better. I'm hoping they go with unknowns for the big parts to save me these mental jolts.

I hope this makes sense.

To me it does. The beauty of a novel is that the characters are almost as much a creation of the reader as they are of the author. So casting decisions are bound to be controversial, even if they have author's blessing.

And don't get me started about the right actor to play Sandor :mad: