View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

Khallandra
January 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Fantastic news. I think it will be good coming from <b>HBO</b> they have the right pace as I really enjoyed Carnivale which is not really a tv-show designed to 'please the masses'.

SuicideRin
January 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Dont you realise that if GRRM adds writing (maybe even a lil producing) to his todo list of attending cons, remodeling his house, wildcards, misc edinting projects that it will be even longer between novels (getting rid of timeskips will save time, yes).

However its totally rightous, and i get to tell all my non-reading, mouth breatig friends about it.

I would have to think that a lot of the characters will be ommited. It is a cast of thousands, and the plotlines may have to be streamlined. meat and bones people.

Evil Agent
January 24th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I would have to think that a lot of the characters will be ommited. It is a cast of thousands, and the plotlines may have to be streamlined. meat and bones people.I don't know about that... Think about it, 12 or 13 hours per book? I think that is enough time to work in all the major characters, and even have some small references to the list of minor names as well. I think doing a full season per book is the best way to do this, and could actually result in an incredibly satisfying and incredibly faithful adaptaion. And also a very original and unique TV event.

Snowlock
January 25th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I believe HBO can pull off the multitude of characters no problem.
Most plotlines take place in one place or another. Kings Landing,
Winterfell etc, but not THAT MANY. They might cut a bit back such as the Greyjoys, or Tullys angle etc. A blip here and there just to suggest the plot but not delve to deeply. Might just be alot of bouncing back and forth. Watch "Rome" and
see what I mean.

-Snowlock

Rhaegar
January 25th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I've posted alot over at Westeros on this subject and I think its obvious that significant alterations are need to translate the books into a TV series. Yes, there are too many characters and plot threads for the average TV viewer to follow. And this show must succeed with the average Joe or it will be very short lived...

Werthead
January 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Dont you realise that if GRRM adds writing (maybe even a lil producing) to his todo list of attending cons, remodeling his house, wildcards, misc edinting projects that it will be even longer between novels (getting rid of timeskips will save time, yes).

However its totally rightous, and i get to tell all my non-reading, mouth breatig friends about it.

I would have to think that a lot of the characters will be ommited. It is a cast of thousands, and the plotlines may have to be streamlined. meat and bones people.

He's writing one episode per season, which isn't much (far less of a workload than writing a new D&E story, for example), and his producer's credit is just that, a credit. Writers often get that even when they have no say in the series itself. GRRM has said that he cannot take a day-to-day hand in the series as he'll have one novel to write during pre-production (The Winds of Winter) and one to write during production of the first two or three seasons (A Dream of Spring).

PJS
January 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I've posted alot over at Westeros on this subject and I think its obvious that significant alterations are need to translate the books into a TV series. Yes, there are too many characters and plot threads for the average TV viewer to follow. And this show must succeed with the average Joe or it will be very short lived...

I don't think many HBO shows are aimed at the "average TV viewer." Rome isn't the kind of show that typifies television. Nor the Sopranos, nor Deadwood. But all shows enjoy resounding success. The fact that we enjoy his books means that the public should like the tv series. A great story is a great story, regardless of the medium. And Rome's szetructure with all the main characters and subplots is very similar to GRRM's. Sure things will need to be tweaked. But probably less than you would think.

Rhaegar
January 26th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I don't think many HBO shows are aimed at the "average TV viewer." Rome isn't the kind of show that typifies television. Nor the Sopranos, nor Deadwood. But all shows enjoy resounding success. The fact that we enjoy his books means that the public should like the tv series. A great story is a great story, regardless of the medium. And Rome's szetructure with all the main characters and subplots is very similar to GRRM's. Sure things will need to be tweaked. But probably less than you would think.

I'm a loyal viewer of ROME and its complexity and character count is much less than ASoIaF... I hope you are right, but I forsee changes that will suprise and upset GRRM's loyal readers. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Mechaniik
January 30th, 2007, 03:53 PM
YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes! (I'm happy)

SteveF
January 31st, 2007, 06:10 AM
I'm a loyal viewer of ROME and its complexity and character count is much less than ASoIaF... I hope you are right, but I forsee changes that will suprise and upset GRRM's loyal readers. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Of all the places ASoIaF could be made, I'm glad it is at HBO. However, like you say, I think we might as well resign ourselves to the fact that the TV series will contain elements that piss us off and do not live up to expectations. I'm just happy it is being made and by a quality organisation too.

What I really hope we don't see, is certain fans accusing GRRM of selling out when they see that Cersei is an inch too short and has a slightly crooked nose. However, given that there are some fans who throw hissy fits when the lastest novel isn't released according to their schedule, I'm not that optimistic.