View Full Version : HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

PJS
January 31st, 2007, 11:21 AM
However, given that there are some fans who throw hissy fits when the lastest novel isn't released according to their schedule, I'm not that optimistic.

Haha you hit that one on the nose. I think most of us are going to be sensible about it. I think people need to have some realistic expectations and an open mind. Its kind of funny..you would think people who read as a hobby, especially a genre such as epic fantasy, would have a somewhat open mind about things. But once we latch on to something, everything that doesn't go according to our own liking is blasphemy.

Shadowguard
January 31st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Just from the fact that they get the title backwards (It's Ice and Fire, not Fire and Ice) it's pretty obvious that they're going to screw it up.

Werthead
February 1st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Just from the fact that they get the title backwards (It's Ice and Fire, not Fire and Ice) it's pretty obvious that they're going to screw it up.

Except that of course it could have been Variety screwing it up, not HBO. And if it was them, HBO's publicity department won't be making the actual series.

Ouroboros
February 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM
If they did rename it 'Fire and Ice', I wouldn't be able to stop thinking of the Pat Benatar song....

Anyway. Given that's HBO behind it I can't see things going too far awry. If anyone can make this the best fantasy TV adaption of all time, then it's them.

kged
February 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, but "the best fantasy TV adaption of all time" is a dismally low bar to beat. This reminds me of when people were lauding the LotR movies as the best fantasy films of all time - what, better than "Krull" or "Hawk the Slayer"? We can only hope they aren't willing to settle for TV ASoIaF being better than The 10th Kingdom, and no more. They should be aiming for "better than the West Wing" (Richard Schiff as The Imp, anyone?).

"Hawk the Slayer's rubbish!"

SusanRae
March 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
gah, I know it is going to be a long time before I hear anymore news about the series, but jees it is almost as hard as waiting for adwd!! I can't wait to find out who is casted (although I hope they go with unknowns). I am thinking that by the time it does finally air I just might be able to afford HBO.

!!!!

If anyone knows any new info please keep us posted.

Posher
March 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I like just about anything in a Medieval setting so I am sure I will watch it...I will be late to the party on this thread by saying...As to whether or not they can fit in all the characaters..Just as long as they can still fit in all the key/background, supporting characters...Jon Umber..The Greatjon, Randyll Tarly, Lady Olenna The Queen Of Thorns.. So on and so forth...I will be happy with that.

Posher
April 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Martin posted on his blog..(which he calls not a blog) about some deals not working out...He doesn't go into detail as to which deals...He says he can't talk about it yet...Color me all but holding my breath hoping the HBO tv series isn't one of the deals to which he might be referring to

MaCinJay
April 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
From Martin's blog (March 17) : "I'm sorry we won't be able to bring you the great products we had promised."

It doesn't sound like he is referring to the TV series; I imagine he would have used a word like projects if this were the case.

That said many production houses buy the rights to novels and then leave them on the shelf. Let's hope that this is not one of those cases :confused:

SusanRae
April 5th, 2007, 10:44 AM
From Martin's blog (March 17) : "I'm sorry we won't be able to bring you the great products we had promised."

It doesn't sound like he is referring to the TV series; I imagine he would have used a word like projects if this were the case.

That said many production houses buy the rights to novels and then leave them on the shelf. Let's hope that this is not one of those cases :confused:

I think one of the deals he is referring to is the one he announced a good long time ago about the song of ice and fire small figurines that were being made. i don't remember all the details but they were supposed to have been released sometime last year and i have yet to hear of them since his announcement.