New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

petro12187
January 17th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Check this out. It is an article from comingsoon.com

HBO Acquires A Song of Fire and Ice
Source: Variety January 17, 2007

HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire and Ice" into a dramatic series to be written and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, reports Variety.

"Fire" is the first TV project for Benioff (Troy) and Weiss (Halo) and will shoot in Europe or New Zealand. Benioff and Weiss will write every episode of each season together save one, which the author (a former TV writer) will script.

The series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and the intention is for each novel (they average 1,000 pages each) to fuel a season's worth of episodes. Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

The author will co-executive produce the series along with Management 360's Guymon Casady and Created By's Vince Gerardis.

kged
January 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM
That's promising. I know we probably only get the best of their stuff shown over here, but I have a very high regard for HBO; it seems like everything I've seen from them has been first class (or very near). Imagine the possibilities, with their roster of talent - Larry David as Ned Stark! James Gandolfini as Jaime!

Wow, if this really actually works, this could be better than the best thing ever. This could/would put fantasy right there in the mainstream.

Wulfa_Jones
January 17th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Seems HBO is planning to adapt George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice. The idea seems to be to do a book a season, which, if it works could see a number of other fantasy sagas being adapted in a method which suits them so much more than a big screen adapt.

Martin is on board as one of the adapt writers as well.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31268

It could be interesting... HBO, based on the shows I've seen produced by them, seem to go all out budget wise. However, I can help but remember all the other shockingly poor fantasy TV adapts.

Gildor
January 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Rejoice!

We should try and send the casting thread thats in the GRRM forum to the casters

:D

Though I hope they go for relative unknowns.

Bridie
January 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Exciting news!! We could all request to be extras... :p

When does the filming start?

MaCinJay
January 17th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Imagine the possibilities, with their roster of talent - Larry David as Ned Stark! James Gandolfini as Jaime!

Surely you jest :eek:

Larry David lacks the gravitas to play Stark. Gandolfini is a great actor but doesn't have the looks to pull off the role of Jaime.

My own choices:

Pierce Brosnan as Ned Stark

He might need the cash now that his Bond days are up.

Michelle Pfeiffer as Cersei Lannister

She has the right blend of beauty and acting ability.

Dolph Lundgren as Jaime Lannister

Dolph may not be the world's best actor but he certainly has the physical presence to play Jaime ;)

Annette Bening as Catelyn Stark

A great counterpoint to Pfeiffer's Cersei.

Ok, so I've cast the four leads. I'll let others take care of the supporting cast ;)

Gildor
January 17th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'd love to be an extra, though thinking about it, I could me being one of the many foot soldiers that get pulverised throughout the series, probabaly by teh mountain that rides.

But yikes they will need LOADS of people, if they do it properly, imagine all the memebers of the houses, and all the minor characters, oooh!

On the date for filming, i'm still waiting for some official news from Martins site, i'm holding my breath till then.

Muess
January 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Awesome!!! When I saw the thread title I thought it would be another speculation thread but it looks like this is actually going to happen.

The talent behind the project looks fairly solid so here's hopeing it will be a success! :D

Liathano
January 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm so excited now! When is this going to happen?:D I hope they do it justice, I mean they have to do better than a movie would do since they can draw it out for so long.

Werthead
January 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Perhaps casting suggestions should bear in mind that HBO won't have a ludicrous budget to work with, so casting suggestions should really be restrained to the level of actors who worked in Rome or Deadwood. In other words, they'll be calling their British representatives to track down the cream of the London theatre talent (who'll do excellent work but won't expect seven-figure sums for it) plus a few known film faces, which is how they got such great actors as James Purefoy and Ciaran Hinds for Rome. Actually they should just get those two in it (Purefoy - who plays Mark Antony - as the Red Viper? Hinds would have made a great Stannis but he's a bit too old; maybe Tywin Lannister?)