PDA

View Full Version : Novice Fantasy Author - anywhere to post stories for review online?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

jambo
February 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hi there,

I am new to these forums but have been a fan of fantasy books for some time (typical favorites im afraid - George R R Martin & Robin Hobb(although not sure about the soldier son trilogy)).

I have written a couple of short fantasy stories (well half written anyway) and would like to know if there is a place online where I can post them and have them reviewed by the community/other amateur authors. Does anyone know of such a site?

Thanks.

JamesL
February 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

I've moved this thread to the writing forum, which seems more appropriate.

To answer your question, you can post your work here at sffworld in the community section. If you post a thread here in the writing forum with a link to your story (once it's up), some of the nice folk that inhabit this forum might just help you out, if you ask nicely! ;)

Ranke Lidyek
February 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Hi there,

I am new to these forums but have been a fan of fantasy books for some time (typical favorites im afraid - George R R Martin & Robin Hobb(although not sure about the soldier son trilogy)).

I have written a couple of short fantasy stories (well half written anyway) and would like to know if there is a place online where I can post them and have them reviewed by the community/other amateur authors. Does anyone know of such a site?

Thanks.

There are many online critique groups that provide this sort of service as well as posting on this forum. I would suggest (www.critters.org) or (www.onlinewritingworkshop.com). Both allow authors to trade critiques and to work on their craft.
Hope this helps!

Ranke

Holbrook
February 6th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Both Critters and Online are run on the basis that you have to give critiques to earn points to put up your work. Online is also a fee paying group, about $50 I think per year. Also the amount of active members has dropped a lot of late.

You can put work up here in the community section and place a link here on the writing forum asking for a critique. You don't have to critique anyone else's work, but it is good manners to do so and helps build a sharing group of folk.

Ditto can be said for;

http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/

and

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php

which has a share your work section, though I have found it to be very hard hitting and somewhat abrasive forum it does have a lot of good info.

Nightblade
February 8th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Does anyone know if those online critique workshops are worth trying? I'm thinking that when I finish and edit (several times over) the final draft for my Young Adult fantasy story, to have it sent to a manuscript appraisal agency or one of those online workshops. I'm just debating whether to seek them or out or just skip that and start getting into the market by looking for an agent that is interested in the sort of thing I'm writing about. *shrugs* While I enjoy the criticism I receive from family and friends, I'm not really getting a good grasp of where my work stands, hence why I'm curious if third-party critiques are worth pursuing. :)