PDA

View Full Version : How to make a good story?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

rosedragon
February 11th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I just finished writing 382 pages of fantasy story, but I never read things about 'how to make stories' and such.. My editor said (he isn't really works as an editor, but I think he is done nice works)he can't find originality of my story. And we might also had more things to consider before releasing the book, but don't know about them... :(

The story I make is about a dragon prince who saved by a human girl, while dragons and humans were in war. The girl herself again and again betray the dragon (because many reasons, not because she are bad person or hate dragons), but the dragon can't kill her, even when this girl endangered his kingdom. The fate guides them to learn each others then, controling their egos, also learning WHO is their true enemies, and then fate forces them to work together. And in their fights, they also learn about each others and fall in love altough there are still many problems about it(because they are from two different race, it is unussual and disgracefull for their kins).

Anyway, I'm from Indonesia, my english is not very good, and I wrote that story in Indonesian language.

Dawnstorm
February 11th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Hi, Rosedragon.

Congratulations on finishing a fantasy story. Don't worry about reading how-to books. I'm sure you learned a lot already, simply by writing the story.

Also, don't worry too much about "originality". There are a lot of reasons people read stories for: Beautiful language, likeable characters, having fun...

And remember that "originality" is always subjective, too. For example, your story probably sounds more original to me than to your editor, because I'm not familiar with Indonesian folktales. It depends on what readers have read before. And, if originality was that important, nobody would read the same book twice. ;)

And if you stick around and read some of the posts here about writing, remember it's better to work on developing your strengths, than to eliminate your weaknesses. I generally find that if a text is very appealing for one reason or another, I don't mind the occasional flaw. But if a text is unappealing, not having any flaws won't make it better. That, and you'll have more fun writing.

MrBF1V3
February 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Also, a good story is about people. What happens to them is important, and what they do is important. Who they are and how you describe them is very important.

There are rumors that there are only a certain number of stories, how many there are depends on who you talk to, we just tell them over and over with different variations.

In my experience, I have to rewrite anything I write at least three times, then it starts being good.

B5

Jacquin
February 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
In my experience, I have to rewrite anything I write at least three times, then it starts being good.

B5

Then you are far and away ahead of me. After I've re-written something three times it just about reaches "acceptable". ;)

J

rosedragon
February 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks.... ^_^

Hmm, I don't write about Indonesian Cultures.. just ordinary fantasy... that gives me ideas to put Indonesian cultures in it.. without mentioning it is Indonesian.. :D Sounds fun...

Still, the fantasy world I make tooo ordinary.

jallenw
February 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
How to make a good story in 5 easy steps.

1) Write for 2 hours every day.
2) Write at least 1000 words every day.
3) Write on your days off from work.
4) Write when you come home from work.
5) Write if you call in sick to work.

You get the idea. I edited my first complete novel 7 times and I thought it was great. I read it recently and I can see that my recent rough drafts are better than what I once thought was a finished product.

What does this say about my writing? Answer: My writing has improved.

Still, I edited my second complete novel, Love Eternal 4 times before I was happy with it. Then people read it and gave me feedback. I am now working on my 4th Revision, which means that I have gone back over this manuscript in detail 8 times.

Writing is a skill, and like any other skill it improves with regular practice, but if you neglect your daily practice, your skill will suffer.

Global Thermo Nuclear Peace,
J. Allen Wentworth

Nogothorod
February 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I've never put stock in "How to" books when it comes to writing. (The exception to that statement is Stephen King's On Writing.) You've either got the talent, or you don't. The ability to write is an acquired skill, and you build upon it all your life with every word you read and write.

In my opinion, there's no set regiment to be followed that will improve upon skill if the talent isn't there. But, if you've got the stuff, writing a couple pages a day and reading ten times as much as you write will supplement your skill as a writer.

MrBF1V3
February 18th, 2007, 12:08 AM
In my opinion, there's no set regiment to be followed that will improve upon skill if the talent isn't there. But, if you've got the stuff, writing a couple pages a day and reading ten times as much as you write will supplement your skill as a writer.

Maybe, but if there is talent it doesn't do any good if you never develop it. I can field dress a room full of fluorescent lights in less than an hour, but that has more to do with practice than talent.

I've seen a number of rules on what makes a good story, and I've seen most, if not all, of those rules broken in a big way, and to good effect. As a writer, you have to do what works for you, then write a book about it so other people can try it too:rolleyes: .

B5

Holbrook
February 18th, 2007, 03:20 AM
What makes a good story? I haven't got a clue. I konw what I like to read and I know what I like to write. Problem is other folk often hate what I read and seriously dislike what I write. (In fact I have a review that states I bored the reviewer! lol)

My latest effort seems to have the same effect only more polarised.

Nogothorod
February 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM
What makes a good story? I haven't got a clue. I konw what I like to read and I know what I like to write. Problem is other folk often hate what I read and seriously dislike what I write. (In fact I have a review that states I bored the reviewer! lol)

My latest effort seems to have the same effect only more polarised.

I personally find it hard to hate any body of work if the writing behind it is solid. If you "bored" your reviewer, you obviously need to make a few changes in the way of how the story moves itself along.

Which stories are yours, by the way?