PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a name.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

jallenw
February 20th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Currently my main character's boyfriend calls her 'My Love' far too much. I need suggestions for a pet-name he could call her instead.

His name is Dylan Farseer. Her name is Jewel Summers.

Please give me as many suggestions for a cute, loving, and non-insulting pet name that a guy could call his girlfriend.

Thanks in advance,
J. Allen Wentworth

AgentRustyBones
February 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Well, there are the usual staples, which you could sprinkle in in various places without settling on any one:

Darling, Dear, Sweetie, Baby...and you could pick various ones to demonstrate the mood he is in, or to reflect the mood he wants her to be in...

A more specific one that came to mind on seeing the name could be:

Sparkle--it's kind of corny, but him calling her that name could become the basis of a conversation as to why he would have chosen it--giving an opportunity for him to get mushy, should that fit what you are trying to do.

Alternatively, he could pick her (or his) favorite precious stone--Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby, etc...

Hope that helps,

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

jallenw
February 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I like sparkle so far. Keep them coming though. I will appreciate as many suggestions as you all can give me.

Expendable
February 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Gem, treasure, treasure of my heart, pearl, prize, flower, marvel, sunshine, breeze (as in "...summer breeze, makes me feel fine..."), summertime, sun, star.

jallenw
February 21st, 2007, 05:24 AM
Oh, I like Gem, it's short and fits with her name. I might have him say 'My gem' and 'My little gemstone' instead of 'My love'.

I like sparkle, but it is too close to the word Sparky, and that's a dog's name, so I don't think it will work as well.

KatG
February 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
I would suggest no "my..." anything. Or if so, make it funny, like "my demonchild."

Otherwise, spunky nicknames are probably the way to go -- Sparkles as suggested, Freckles, Tough Babe, Sureshot, Carrot if she's a redhead, princess, kitten, tiger, Lady Deadly, outlaw, pigeon, Green Eyes if she has green eyes, etc. You can use the name of the village or city where she was born or where he first encountered her. You could use a rotating roster of the three other seasons since her last name is Summers. He could use just her last name. It could be a nickname from some attribute she has -- Speedy, Egghead, Slick, etc. It could be from some item of clothing she wears -- singer Sting got his monikor from a bumblebee black and yellow sweater he wore. It could be a gemstone monikor because of her first name. It could be a shortened or lengthened form of her first name -- J or Jewelinator. It could be a nickname based on her race, her religion, her family, her family's profession, a past incident in her life that he knows about. He could call her by a male name, such as Fred, which emphasizes that she is very not male. He could just call her "wench," meaning she is anything but.

Have fun.

Ward
February 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Magic-Thighs.

Mock
February 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Magic-Thighs.

LOL USE THAT!!! ahahahaha

Ajax Torbin
March 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
think of a word that defines that character to her boyfriend, now, what ever that word is, think up a story behind it.
--an event in her past they share
--a feature she has that he likes(nicknames can be embarrasing)
--a style she likes, way of dress, speech pattern, some kind of tic(a kind of nervus twich) even a habit.
remember what feel you want for the term, joking, loving, teasing, playful, these are all feelings involved in love.

James Carmack
March 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Dylan can call Jewel "Piglet" and she can call him "Pooh-bear" and the audience can feel very uncomfortable. (Yes, I lifted that from the movie Sirens. It's cute and creepy all at the same time.)

Maybe if you'd give us a little description of the two, both in terms of physical appearance and personality. That's bound to help us narrow things down.

For some reason, "pigeon" comes to mind ("pidge" for short, as needed). Don't ask me why. I know I've heard it somewhere before. Seems like something a Limey would use...

Anyway, you have to decide what kind of couple they are. Are they really sappy? Do they act more like best friends? Constantly bickering? That'll be another major deciding factor.