PDA

View Full Version : Anime: Paprika

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Expendable
March 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Paprika (http://www.sonyclassics.com/paprika/), a new anime movie from Sony about a sleep scientist who has a younger dream self code-named Paprika. When an experimental dream machine is stolen and other scientists in the labs begin dying strangely, it's up to the scientist and her dream-self to stop the killer. Release date US May 25, 2007.

"this is your brain on Anime" - heh. The director, Satoshi Kon also did Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue.

You can download the theme song for free (author's wish) at http://teslakite.com/freemp3s/e/paprika/

Gildor
March 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
This from when I saw it the other year at the Leeds film festival ...

Went to the Leeds film festival over the weekend to watch Paprika. It's from the glorious mind of Satoshi Kon, and it was so good I had to watch it twice. Its basically a eclectic and subversive mix of dreams and reaility with a good dose on the nature of filmmaking thrown in. A group of scientists create a machine called the DC mini, which enables you to visit people dreams, someone steals it and then it all goes wacky ... like, Crazy Insane Japinese Anime style WACKY! Lot's of surreal 'what the hell?' moments, film nods galore (Tarzan, The Collector, plus Satoshi's other works) and lots of pop culture references get thown into the parade (literally). Plus some gorgeous animation to boot, and it had one of the most happy and bouncy soundtracks ever, i've been humming it since Friday.

Brilliant film, i'm pretty sure it won't be shown in UK cinemas , so unless you saw it in Leeds, buy it on DVD when it comes out, it's well worth it!

The theme tune is amazing, and the film pretty much follows suit.

Expendable, I take it that this 25th of May date is the American release?

Expendable
March 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Yes. Release Date US (short for USA) May 25th.