PDA

View Full Version : how she overcome the swamp

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

maserati
March 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
are these sentences below grammatical? and if not, could you mend for me? please :)

Though she was in a very harsh swamp, she got the best of the bad environment and had her best decorations on.
When he as asked to dispense from courteousness, he sprawl his body on velvet cushion artificially.
In all likelihood, what the impression the royalty conveys to the public is the thriving of their luxurious life.

AgentRustyBones
March 3rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Though she was in a very harsh swamp, she got the best of the bad environment and had her best decorations on.
When he as asked to dispense from courteousness, he sprawl his body on velvet cushion artificially.
In all likelihood, what the impression the royalty conveys to the public is the thriving of their luxurious life.

I'm sorry. These sentences are such a mess that I don't know what exactly you are trying to say.

I'm getting the impression that English isn't your first or native language.

In sentence one, what kind of 'decorations is she wearing and why?What do you mean by a harsh swamp-- a swamp could be cold and grey in winter, hot and muggy in summer, full of bugs in spring or summer, full of nasty critters...what is harsh about the swamp. Most likely, this will require more than one sentence to answer all of this.

In sentence two, I think you are trying to say something like this:

"When he was invited to make himself comfortable, he plopped down onto the cushion and stretched out."

In sentence three, I think you are trying to say something along these lines:

"The only thing evident to the public is that the royals are living free and easy off of their hard earned wages."

(Not sure if the 'royals' needs to be capitalized. Others would know that better than I.)

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

James Carmack
March 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
It's a small contribution, but you generally capitalize "the Royals."

I teach EFL, so I see this sort of thing quite a bit. I'm guessing you (maserati) either made a direct translation out of the dictionary or went through a machine translator.

If you give us a little more information, I think we can help you better. I'd ask for the original version (if you have one), but my expertise in languages outside English and Japanese is woefully limited. The context of the examples would be greatly appreciated. (In other words, what's going on in these three scenes?)

Agent RustyBones has already done an able reworking of the lines, so I'm not going to muddy the waters with my own stab at it. Like I said, give us a little more information and we can polish 'em up right.