View Full Version : Primeval

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
March 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Primeval is alleged to be ITV’s answer to the success of Doctor Who over on the BBC.

It used the same graphic technology that was pioneered in factual programs such as Walking with Dinosaurs and then over used by ITV “semi-factual” program Prehistoric Park.

Thankfully this program is nothing like Prehistoric Park. It follows a team of scientists investigating a series of temporal anomalies (yes, that good old Sci-Fi plot device) that start appearing in England. Of course these time portals to the pre-history periods of the Earth allow all sorts of bizarre and nasty creatures through which, the team then has to clear up.

I’ve only caught a couple of episodes myself and it’s enjoyable. The acting is a little stiff sometimes – the main acting highlight is the appearance of Ben Miller who plays a rather forthright civil servant. The effects, while not of American TV standard, are decent – much akin to Doctor Who’s level of CGI. The episodes seem quite episodic, but there might be a lose arc in it somewhere.

It’s most unusual for ITV to produce generic programming, but clearly the success of Doctor Who and Torchwood has prompted them to. There is something about it that is so ITV though which kinda ruins it… trendy looking characters, use of popular music… at least it doesn’t star David Jason.

I can see why people are calling it a rival to Doctor Who – time travel, monsters, a leading character played by a formal teen pop star (S-Club 7…). However, the feeling I get from it was more Quatermass with dinosaurs.

It has been commissioned for a 2nd season.

Hobbit
March 5th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Yes, it's built to a formula. But at least it doesn't try to pretend it's grown up (unlike the woeful Torchwood) and is clearly for an family audience with some definitely yucky moments thrown in.

The characterisation isn't great, IMO: but still better than (see above.)

The effects are good, though I suspect will look rather dated in time.

It has gone down well with the younger members of the Hobbit household, though it is clearly marking time until the return of Doctor Who to the BBC (very soon now!)

Hobbit

Wulfa_Jones
March 5th, 2007, 08:40 AM
It does have a family feel to it... I kinda like the return to family programing that isn't just game shows or reality TV.

Primevals characters are a little two dimensional - the lead guy really isn't very memorable, but the rest of the team aren't too bad. Think they could do more with the hunter type character.

Hear the last episode of this season sees a portal to the distant future opening.

Torchwood was flawed, but I started to enjoy it at the end. No idea if it has been picked up for a 2nd round, but if it has I hope the writers know that sometime less is more. It was sometimes like watching an adult TV program designed by kids - what do kids think is grown up - sex, swearing and gore.

As for Doctor Who... yes I think it starts at the tail end of this month. Much fan buzz about the return of The Master...

Hobbit
March 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I kinda like the return to family programing that isn't just game shows or reality TV. Can't agree more. For that alone, it's worth the effort.

Torchwood was flawed, but I started to enjoy it at the end. No idea if it has been picked up for a 2nd round, but if it has I hope the writers know that sometime less is more. It was sometimes like watching an adult TV program designed by kids - what do kids think is grown up - sex, swearing and gore. As I think I've said in the Torchwood thread, I stuck with it, always in the hope it would get better. Sadly, for me, it didn't. The scripts were poor, the dialogue atrocious. Compared to Battlestar Galactica, or (older) Millennium/X-Files, IMO the programmes were woeful. I think you've summed it up well. I realise that not everyone has the same view, though, and it has been given a second series. :)

Hobbit

Holbrook
March 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
It has been commissioned for a 2nd season.

Good! I am enjoying it, something fun and light to watch for a change.

Though I was wondering if one character only had underwear of a certain colour.

briruc
March 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I think Primeval deserves its 2nd series too. I only saw two or three of the episodes, but that's enough to recognise harmless, competently made fun when I see it. The plots were pretty fragile if you paid too much attention, but it never pretended to be anything other than what it was: a lively, family-oriented adventure with monsters. And my inner kid actually thought the bat-monster thingy in the last episode was kinda cool ...

Khallandra
March 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Primeval is a fun series. I enjoy watching it, I don't take anything as 'historical truth' but more another adventure series. It would've been a pain if they didn't get picked up for season 2 with that cliffhanger!

CiciTj
March 28th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I have only seen 1 episode which seemed very watchable. My brother in law didn't have good things to say about it which put me off initionally but from reading on here its good for family's I'll give it another go. My kids love Dr Who so hopefully they will enjoy this. :D

Thulsadoom
April 3rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
I've watched all of Primeval so far. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not especially brilliant or revolutionary, but it's the best genre show actually made in the UK at the moment. It actually has logical, reasonable plots, interesting characters, decent effects, and doesn't go out of its way to insult the audience the way the new Dr. Who or Torchwood do. Considering how it's touted as ITVs answer to Dr. Who, I can honestly say, they've more than done the job, and produced something far superior. (Not that it was hard!)

ravenlynne
April 21st, 2007, 01:33 AM
I've watched all of Primeval also and I love it. :D Can't wait for the next season.

Although why the blonde needs to be in underwear every single ep is beyond me. :confused: