PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Lost Title

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

rvanosdol
March 5th, 2007, 07:21 AM
In desperation I am asking the SF community to help me locate a book that I read years ago. It is about three different entities: man, machines, and some far off entity helping man. Machines are trying to kill man, and there is one man the far off entity is using to help save them. Somehow the man is being kept alive over 30000 years by storing his neural patterns in a computer and re-instantiating him in a body over and over again. At one point he removes humans from earth and stashes them on various planets, and calls them by various baseball team names such as Yankees. If any of this sounds familiar I would love to know.

Thanks!!

Ryan

Hobbit
March 5th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Might have this one, Ryan. Try Harvest of Stars (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/poul-anderson/harvest-of-stars.htm) by Poul Anderson.

Hobbit

rvanosdol
March 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hobbit, thanks but that's not it.

The story starts with Mankind sending a space ship to a distant black hole to see what's out there, and there they run into the machines. The machines follow the trail back to earth and that's how it starts.

Ropie
March 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
It's close to Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for...

rvanosdol
March 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Ropie, thanks but that's not it. It sounds like a pretty good book though, I'll have to try that out.

Thanks!!

Ryan