PDA

View Full Version : Heroes (no real spoilers)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wulfa_Jones
March 5th, 2007, 08:57 AM
While this has only just launched in the UK, I've been watching it via illegitimate methods since it started in the US.

I’m sure there was a post about it on here, but I have been unable to find it so figured I’d start a one!

I’m really enjoying this series. I’m a bit of an X-Men fan, so this appeals to me greatly. It like a realistic take on what would really happen if people started to develop mutant powers – as much as I love comic books, I can’t see people pulling on uniforms and trying to save the world (that said, I’d imagine there would be quite a few “super villains”).

Ability wise it does bear resemblance to X-Men, but the shadowy organisation known only as “the company” is pretty much like the Weapon X project (well, the revised Weapon X project).

The last few episodes have been annoying me slightly… I started to lose it with Lost because it seemed to take forever for any sort of plot to develop and this started to happen in Heroes. However, last weeks episode was pretty darn good – maybe because it only focused on one group of characters instead of jumping back and forth.

I understand the show is going on one of these strange hiatus periods, that US TV seems to do, after tonight’s episode and then the last few will be shown from sometime in April onwards

So what does everyone else think of it?

kater
March 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Fantastic, I've watched it from the start in the US as well and it really is enjoyable. There have been some superb moments that put 90% of other TV shows special effects to shame, the writing is sharp and the cast (almost all relative unknowns) really hit the script. Last episode I saw was 17 called Company Man and is by far the best episode to date, not looking forward to hiatus.

PlanetRetcon
March 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I think last week's episode (Company man) propelled this show over Battlestar Galactica as my favorite currently-running show. Excellent effects, charactes, and story. Superb show.

Eventine
March 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM
We've had five episodes here in Australia, and it's pretty fun. There seem to be plenty of cool pay-off moments so far, and I expect them to continue.

The end of episode four:
where Hiro comes back minus glasses, plus sword and ability to speak English is pretty damn cool if you ask me. Now that's going to be some great character development to watch.

Wulfa_Jones
March 7th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Eventine - Yeah that was really got me hooked on the show. The promise of things to come.

Nightblade
March 7th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I'm enjoying it. I actually thought it was a Bollywood made series in the first episode tbh. :P I'm quite intrigued about this Sylar guy though, seems like an unfriendly sort. Last episode here was where you found out that Eden McCain's real purpose in being with the professor's son.

Wulfa_Jones
March 8th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Just watched the last episode before be break (epsiode 18 - "Parasite").

Pretty darn good!

So it seems Hiro's Dad, Sulu, is connected or maybe leads the company. Which means that he knows Hiro has "powers", but still let him wander free in the US. Talking of Hiro - he finally manages to get the sword and we see post nuke New York. However, with the radioactive man locked up in the company site - how is Peter going to mimic is powers and blow up NY?
Also the ending, with Peter having is brain removed by Sylar....

Same we now have to wait till April for the last few episodes.

U-Borat
March 8th, 2007, 03:58 AM
You can watch all the episodes on allfg.org.
Everything that's been offically aired, that is.

Thulsadoom
April 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
I've been enjoying Heroes. Can't really say it's one of my favorites, as I've never been one for the whole 'super powers' thing, but saying that, it's handling it rather well, like X-men managed to do. As someone else said, though, I'm starting to get annoyed with this desire lately, for every program to draw one storyline over the whole series. I'm all for an on-going story, I used to lament the lack of them in earlier series, till B5 came along, but that worked because it still kept each week pretty much a complete story, that added bits here and there to the main overall plot. I know heroes somewhat does that, but it's veering into Lost territory. You feel this drag watching it, wanting to make the next step forward, rather than a feeling of momentum which it should have.

I'll admit though, that's not a huge complaint with heroes. It's handling things pretty well. I think Hiro is by far the best character/storyline though. I was surprised to hear, that he was effectively a last minute addition to the whole thing, ironically.

Wulfa_Jones
April 8th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I think the show works a bit better than Lost because it does have story sequences, such as the save the cheerleader, save the world sequence and also because their will be one big story arc per season.

Just waiting for the next episode...