View Full Version : Frank Miller's "300"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Miriamele
March 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Has anyone read "300?" I'm eyeing the hardcover on Amazon for my husband's birthday, not sure if I'm going to buy it yet though.

kater
March 11th, 2007, 07:24 AM
It's OK. It's Frank Miller so it isn't going to be crap but I wasn't that fussed on it, classic heroic fantasy but neither brilliantly written or drawn. The art style is smart but the dialogue is clunky and in all honesty the HB is only out because they think it'll sell with the movie. It's also likely to be expensive for only 88 pages of material with no extras, buy him Gates of Fire instead if he hasn't read that.

Ouroboros
March 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Steven Pressfield's 'Gates of Fire' is a good take on Thermopylae- And evidently other people agree, because Michael Mann is slated to direct a movie adaption produced by George Clooney. Although Pressfield takes his own liberties at times, it's less fantastical than "300".

"300" in hardback would be a lovely thing to have, but objectively speaking I don't think anyone would rate it as being a 'must-have' graphic novel. If your husband really liked the movie on the other hand, then he would probably get a lot out of it. As far as I can tell the movie stayed very close to the style and imagery of the original work.

Some alternatives, staying with graphic novels:-

Alan Moore's "Watchmen" in hardcover (Also supposedly to be a movie) (http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Absolute-Alan-Moore/dp/1401207138)

Volume 1 of Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" Absolute edition in hardcover (http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Sandman-Vol-1/dp/1401210821/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-7003646-9792145?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173614047&sr=1-3)

Art Spiegelman's "Maus" Vol I & II in hardcover (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maus-Survivors-Tale/dp/0679406417/ref=sr_1_1/102-7003646-9792145?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173614451&sr=8-1)

Miriamele
March 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys. :)

Thanks for the suggestions Ouroboros, "Watchmen" looks awesome...maybe I'll go with that one instead.

kater
March 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Watchmen is regarded as one of the defining comic books of all time, personally I prefer V for Vendetta but the difference in excellence is so minimal it doesn't matter. What I would say is that I have the Absolute Edition and while it's great, it's not value for money if the story is the sole interest. It's a signifcant read and I think with the price difference you can easily get away with the normal version even though it isn't a HC.

Miriamele
March 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Yep, I ordered the paperback Watchmen...waaaay cheaper and my husband is always just going for the story, anyway. Thanks for the tip though! :)

saintjon
March 16th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Okay, keyboard at my dad's place is crap, I just lost a solid paragraph to a sticky key error. I will be back weekend warrior style soon hopefully.

ArthurFrayn
March 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM
IMO, Frank Miller has been running on fumes with regard to his graphic novels for a while now. His great ones are long past. And I hate the way he draws now.

Khallandra
March 25th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I loved it. I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels but this one I really enjoyed. The scenes were large and the dialog minimal to allow the readers to fill in the rest.

I'm a huge fan of the depicted historical event (if one can be a 'fan' of a historical event), but I found I didn't have the time to be even the slightest bit critical of 'accuracy' because I enjoyed it so much.

Miriamele
April 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Watchmen is regarded as one of the defining comic books of all time,

Just wanted to say thanks Kater and Ouroboros for the recommendation, my husband LOVED Watchmen, he said it was hands down the best comic/graphic novel he'd ever read.