PDA

View Full Version : Druid History

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Liathano
March 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
I am attempting to write my first major piece but of course I have come across the one problem some authors encounter...research! :confused: I am an advocate of my local library system and use it greatly but with this one topic they seem to have very little. Does anyone know of any websites or really good books on the subject of Druid Lore and History. I really what the facts and not what people have thought might be the truth.

JamesL
March 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
My first point of call for any research is Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druidism

James Carmack
March 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, of course, but it is a convenient way to get info in a quick and concise form. The external links might prove useful, too. A quick Google search opens up a wealth of possibilities, too. Once again, you have to take what you find with a grain of salt, but we fiction authors aren't held to the same rigorous degree of accountability as, say, a history major working on his doctoral thesis. (Or perhaps I ought to say "the rigorous degree of accountability a history major -should- be held to" since laxity in the field does happen...)

AgentRustyBones
March 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM
The problem with the 'Druids' is that you will have a very hard time sorting out the credible sources fromt he incredible sources.

That problem is exacerbated by the fact that there is a whole group of neo-pagans who call themselves druids and (some at least) claim to base their religion on 'hidden lore' or ancient texts or oral traditions that were passed down through generations, but may just as likely been made up from scratch.

It is likely that almost everything that is 'known' about druids comes from non-druidic sources and is therefore subject to an outsiders interpretation.

Many people associate druids with Celtic peoples, but even that is suspect to some degree as I have seen theories that druids were around before the Celts arrived in the British Isles. Many also believe the Druids built Stonehenge and other similar monuments, but no one is really certain of that either.

If you are planning on using druids in your fiction writing, just know that many others have used druids and re-created them to suit their stories.

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

Liathano
March 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Specifically I don't plan on using druids in the story line, just their religious beliefs and foundation. I might just be a tad anal about the accuracy of such things.:o It may take me awhile to get over that.

James Carmack
March 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
Nothing wrong with striving for accuracy. Cast your nets wide, cross-reference your sources and use some common sense. That's about the best you can do.

Like Rusty said, be mindful of the neo-pagan druids. Most of their assertions of a historical basis for their merry little bands is stuff and rubbish. Still, when making an adaptation, what's the harm in adapting what's been adapted?

It's entirely up to you how thorough you want your research to be. As long as the end product meshes with your story, I don't foresee too many complaints.