View Full Version : The Idea Generator and Refiner

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ajax Torbin
March 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
this is an idea ive had for a while now. a place to come to get ideas critiqued, the way it works is someone posts a idea, a concept for a character, a race, a single element in a story so that spicific idea can then be improved, knocked around, 'ya know, the 'ol baggage test.
cause i don't know about you guys, but i like a concept to as bullet-proof as possible and this kind of feedback helps my thought prosess.

FIRST:
i have played/read many things with elves in them, from D&D, Tolkien's works, and of course lots of anime. And every style and setting have different kinds of elf, short and long eared in anime, tall and willowy in Tolkien's, and something inbetween for D&D. After having experianced all of these, i now know that each style of elf has, to me, a 'feel' to them and im curious to see your take on elves

The anime elf i see as wild, at home in the woods, fun loving and joyful.
The Tolkien elf, old, knowledgable, and quite arrogant.
The D&D elf somewhere in between, tending toward a more 'human' standpoint, temperd by age but with a sarcastic streek a mile wide.

But before i go on i'll share my names for the types of elves:
Rasarien(ray-sar-een) aka wood elves
Noxsarien ( knocks-sar-een ) aka dark elves aka night elves
Elsarien ( 'L'-sar-een ) aka high elves aka day elves
Nauphtsarien ( nawft-sar-een ) aka grey elves aka sea elves
since it would be redundent to call the raisarien 'wild elves', this term applies to bands of high elf 'barbarians'. please do not use the copyrighted term 'drow' to refer to noxsarien.

so what do you see elves as? how would you use them?in essence, what emotion do elves strike to you?

feel free to use any of the ideas on this (and any of my following) post. but note i would like to know if you are useing them, and if you have had any fresh ideas on any thing i've thought up( the point of this little exersize). i don't mind sharing my stuff, i'm even posting it online for that purpose, but try not to take credit for it. i'm lookin for feedback here, good or bad. so feel free to rag/give kudos.

AgentRustyBones
March 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
As a lifelong gamer (fantasy roleplaying, primarily) this material is very reminiscent of various and sundry RPG's.

I don't know how useful these ideas would be for anyone else to use in their own writing (other than for strictly their own pleasure).

Even with the different types of elves you describe, they are essentially re-worked prototypes of various kinds of elves found in most fantasy RPG's.

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

Ajax Torbin
March 24th, 2007, 10:06 PM
well, these were origanally for my own use to aid in making a my own RPG, and i coulden't choose what kind of elf to use, so i used all of 'em. that's actuly how i decided to write a fantasy novel.

and these were just to get the ball rolling

AgentRustyBones
March 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM
well, these were origanally for my own use to aid in making a my own RPG, and i coulden't choose what kind of elf to use, so i used all of 'em. that's actuly how i decided to write a fantasy novel.

and these were just to get the ball rolling

::shking head::

OK.

If your idea of a great fantasy novel is one of those Forgotten Realms dial-a-stories, then have at with all the elves you want, dude.

There's a reason most bookstores throw that stuff at the very end of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi section and its not because they are so much better than Tolkien and Frank Herbert and George R. R. Martin.

The reason that there are all of those races and creatures in a fantasy RPG is to give players and DM's the variety they need to make characters, meet strange new peoples and kill them (much like the Army...BTW).

I would caution against throwing a Monster Manual of critters and races into a world in which you are trying out serious fantasy. Too much variety in magic and races and enemies in your world means that your story will lose focus and read like a gaming module.

If that's what you are shooting for, feel free. I'll refrain from further commentary.

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

Ajax Torbin
March 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM
hers what i got in my world,
the elven races:
raisarine
elsarine
nauphtsarine

the races of man:
human
dwarf
gigan(haven't described yet)

the races of goblin:
gnome
kobold
orc

three races of three divisions, kind of a theme. and what can i say i like elves and a little racial diversity.

im here to refine these ideas, by listening to your input. so anything is helpful. comment, please comment, thats what its for. just try to respond to the idea presented here, not on the manner in which it is. i refine puntuation for actual submiting. not for a forum.

AND dont try to tell me that you never got an idea from one source and then used it in another.

p.s. forrgotten realms sucks

James Carmack
March 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I feel so cheated. All I got was the meeting strange new people. I didn't get to kill a single one of 'em. (Of course, I'm a terrible shot, so it's probably just as well.) I wasn't the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill. (But probably the only one to take five frickin' tries to pass BRM... >_> ) Anyway...

Tolkein is largely acknowledged as the font from which modern fantasy springs. Adding Tolkein's Legendarium to such derivative works as D&D builds a sort of modern mythology. Applying any of the conventions from these is a shorthand approach, much like utilizing Jungian archetypes. It helps you say without saying. There's value in this, but if you can't move outside of the box, you're nothing more than a fanfic writer (which is about as much credit as I'm willing to give authors who string out novels for established franchises). Doesn't mean you're not good, doesn't mean you can't spin a good yarn, but it does mean you're nothing special.

Rusty makes a good point about not getting bogged down with a bestiary. I say this as someone who's crafted a hefty bestiary and long list of sentient species. If you're spending several pages describing every critter that shows up, you're taking the wrong approach. You can actually get away with leaving a lot to the readers' imagination, but I wouldn't toss in too many species at once. You've got to be gentle with the soft pink brains of your audience, after all.

The system you've got, with the sub-sets of three "races," doesn't have anything inherently wrong with it. Your portrayal of these species will be paramount. What makes them unique? What's their lore, their history, their heroes and villains? It's no small task, but it's what'll make your world matter.

Ajax Torbin
March 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM
RASARINE

4'4" TO 5'0" TALL

AGE TO ABOUT 450/COMMING OF AGE ABOUT 65-75

ABOUT 75 TO 95 LBS

LONG EARS A GOOD 5 TO 7 INCHES NOTE THAT THESE EARS CAN SWIVILE AT WILL ROTATEING FROM A AMIME STYLE STRAIGHT OUT TO FLAT AGANST THIER HEAD

BODYS ARE PROPORTAINED LIKE HUMAN CHILD ABOUT 12-13 YEARS

SMALL ROUND FACES SMOOTH CHEEKS LARGE ALMOND SHAPED EYES

SLIGHT BUILD WITH DEFENITE CORDDED MUSSCLE,ARE STRONGER THAN A HUMAN KID, THOUGH STILL NOT AS STRONG AS FULL GROWN HUMAN

HAIR IS ALWAYS A VERRY DEEP COLOR WITH SHEEN/HIGHLIGHTS ARE RARE-BUT SHADE MAY DIFFER DOWN LENGH OF STRAND/COMMON COLORS ARE; DARK PURPLE, DARK BROWN,BLACK WITH SHEEN, BLACK WITH BLUEISH TINGE, GREEN WITH BLACK ROOTS AND VERRY RED WITH DARK ROOTS. SOME OLDER (300+) HAVE PURE WHITE WITH TIPS THIER ORIGANAL COLOR

TEND TO BE FAST AND EXTREAMLY LIGHT ON THIER FEET/BUT NO STRENGTH TO BACK IT UP/o.k. STAMINA\MOVEMENTS TEND TO BE FAST AND SUDDEN

VERRY GOOD WITH BOWS(BETTER THAN THEIR HIGH ELF COUSIONS)AND WILD MAGICS/MOST LEARN AT LEAST SOME BASIC SELLS OF A SORCERERY TYPE

TYPES OF MILLTARY UNIT
WATCHERS (THINK RANGER)
RANKS ARE; WATCHER, SIGHTER, SEER
WOODLAND GAURD
RANKS ARE; SOLDER, WARRIOR, BATTLE MASTER, WAR-
MASTER

haddent planed on sharing these, but waht the heck

Ajax Torbin
March 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Elsarine

5'8" To 6'6" Tall

About 800 Sometimes 1000 Years Old

120 To 160 Lbs

Pale Skin (think Gamer Skin Here)

Ears Are Pointy But More Vulcan Like As Opposed To Anime Like

Body Structure Tends To Be Very Thin And Willowy (c'mon Man, Tolkien Stuff Here)

Faces Tend To Have High Sharp Angled Prominent Cheek Bones And Be Vary Angler
Jaw Tends To Be Straight And Triangler Ending In Small Chin-square And Lantern Jaws Are Nonexsisent!they Seem To Have Very Large Mouths But This Is Illusion Caused By The Sharp Jaw Line And Small Chin Combined With Full Lips

Hair Tends To Run Along Human Standards/golden Blond Is Unheard Of/blond Shades Tend To Be Vary Pale Perhapes With Redish Or White Tinge/they Retain Thier Hair Color Throughout
Life

Movements Are Flowing Yet Very Presise Even In Combat They Seem To Dance
Not As Fast As Their Wood Elf Cousions They Make Up For It With Accuracy And Grace/a High Elf Moves With Exzactly As Much Force Is Needed, No More, No Less/in Combat They Dont Seem To Tumble
Out Of The Way-they Just Aren't Where The Blade Is-almost Like They Knew Where You Would Strike Next

Inncredible Stamina/not Able To Pull Off The Fast Movements Of The Rasarien,but They'll Ust Fight You `all Day, All Week, All Month, Ect. Ect. And See Whos Left( Yup, We Got
Aaaallll Day To Fight You Bub, And Only Need A Cupple Hours Sleep)

Great Archers( They Hate Crossbows And Despize Guns Though) And Very Good With Spinny/slashy (scimitar Faltion Ect.) Weapons And Light Thin Weapons (rapier Ect.) Most Weapons Tend To Be Made With Mithrill Often With Adamantine Renforced Edge/

Ajax Torbin
March 25th, 2007, 11:04 PM
NAUPHTSARINE

5' 0" to 6' 0" TALL

TO ABOUT 700 YEARS OLD

120 TO 180 LBS

HAIR RANGES FROM CHARCOAL TO ASH GREY BOTH BLUEISH TINGED, PALE SHADES OF NEARLY WHITE
BLUE-GREY, (they like to dye their hair viberant colors)

SOFT FEATURES/SLIGHTLY OVERLARGE EYES( USEULY DESCRIBED AS PRETTY BY HUMANS)

EARS TEND TO BE LONGER THAN ELSARIEN/BUT NOT RASARIEN TO THE EXTREME/USEULY ABOUT 4 INCHES LONG SLOPING UP AWAY FROM THE HEAD

BODY VERY CLOSE TO HUMAN( A HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE HUMAN)
ALTHOUGH HUMANS USEULY SAY THEY'RE TOO WELL PROPORTIONED

THEIR MOVEMENTS THOUGH NOT AS GRACEFUL AS ELSARIEN, TEND TO BE FLAMBOYANTALTHOUGH GRACEFUL THEY TEND TO 'SHOW OFF' BUT STAY WITHIN THEIR LIMITS

A GREAT PORTION LIVE BY THE SEA AND HAVE A LOVE OF SAILING AND THINGS NAUTICAL

FIGHTING STYLE TENDS TO BE FLOURISHED AND PUNCTUATED, JUST A BIT OVER THE TOP

exciuse qulaity, made these when i first got my PALM and still trying to figure it out

this and a few legends and storys about them are all i made because i didnt want to get bogged down as you say.

James Carmack
March 26th, 2007, 02:13 AM
What's with all that yellin'? You're so not gellin'. Please, Ajax, refrain from using the Caps Lock key, if you would. Some people take offense to that sort of thing.

Do I really want to know about the Rasarine's "large almond"? Sounds naughty.

Well, at least you've thought things out. The profiles sound very game-ish, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Perhaps I should be asking this: What exactly are you looking to refine? What do you feel the weaknesses are and how would you like to improve them?