PDA

View Full Version : I'm a total newb. Help.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

xvszero
March 26th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Both to the site, and writing in general.

I've noticed a lot of the submissions on here seem to be sort of elf/warrior/etc. type stuff. Most of what I write really only sort of vaguely falls into the fantasy/sci-fi catagory and is more just dreamy short stories or strange ideas or whatever so I'm wondering if this is the right forum or not to post on.

Also just a general idea of how the forum works would help so I don't accidentally get half the forum hating me overnight somehow. (If this post didn't already do it.)

Holbrook
March 26th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I've noticed a lot of the submissions on here seem to be sort of elf/warrior/etc. type stuff. Most of what I write really only sort of vaguely falls into the fantasy/sci-fi catagory and is more just dreamy short stories or strange ideas or whatever so I'm wondering if this is the right forum or not to post on.

Welcome;

The answer to your question is; yes, it is the right place for anyone who has an interest in writing and reading.

P.S. I don't write about elves, and may I be struck over the head with my keyboard if I ever do :D

There are no rules about what you should write about only that you enjoy the forum and maybe improve your writing. (Done it for me over the years.)

Also just a general idea of how the forum works would help so I don't accidentally get half the forum hating me overnight somehow. (If this post didn't already do it.)

Like most forums, people comment about stuff, others answer them. :eek: :D

Jump in and add your two pennies worth when you want too.

You can put very small sections on the forum for critique, larger ones I suggest you place place on the community section and post a link. I believe there is a thread at the top of the forum about that.

MrBF1V3
March 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah, Holbrook it's called the community section, you get to it by clicking "Stories"

Well, I have written a story about elves, temporary madness I think. I couldn't resist unethical behavior at the cookie factory. But I think of myself as someone who writes SF. Anyway, I think there is room for quite a variety.

Anyway xvszero, not to worry, if you want half of this forum hating you, you have to really work at it. You know, self-publish a book and advert it in every post, copy entire threads and post them on your neo-nazi web site to prove to your buddies how you were standing up for whatever you think you believe in, say unkind things to people who were trying to help you out, those kind of things. So far you're doing okay.

Most of what I write really only sort of vaguely falls into the fantasy/sci-fi catagory and is more just dreamy short stories or strange ideas or whatever

If I may ask, can you elaborate?

B5

Jacquin
March 27th, 2007, 01:28 AM
P.S. I don't write about elves, and may I be struck over the head with my keyboard if I ever do :D

Is there somewhere I can volunteer? :D

Holbrook
March 27th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Is there somewhere I can volunteer? :D

Oh thanks! What with Mr B5 putting my name in a funny colour I am beginning to think I must have my jumper on inside out.....:eek: ;)

And to echo Mr B, what type of stories do you write, xyzero?

choppy
March 28th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Although I don't put my work up here too often, I find this place is a great site for interacting with other authors.

As SFFworld is obviously geared towards science fiction and fantasy that's what most of the writers here focus on. There are quite a few of us who have expanded beyond the traditional borders of these genres. Generally the projects most people are involved in around here tend to have some sort of speculative element to them.

I, for example, write a lot of horror, military science fiction, and even some historical and literary fiction in addition to fantasy.

KatG
March 28th, 2007, 12:11 PM
SFFWorld is about science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories in all its forms. A lot of writers on this forum are working on what's called epic fantasy, which are sagas set in imaginary worlds. It is a sub-sect of fantasy writing, and a major one, but just one part of the constellation. The people who tend to write it are the least shy, whereas I find the science fiction writers to be quite shy and I wish they would not be that way. :) Some writers are not only interested in writing science fiction, fantasy or horror in some form, but also in other types of stories.

And writing is writing. So if you like, put up a story in the story section, put a link to it here, and we'll do our best.

Abby
March 28th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Welcome, Elite Owl Ninja! I don't think you stepped on anyone's toes. For the record, I don't write elf/warrior/etc. type stories. I write epic novels about twisted telepaths, and occasionally short fiction about genetic engineering gone awry and other strange topics.