View Full Version : Advice on Creating Endings

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

nemisiscat
March 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM
So, I have almost my entire plot mapped out (granted it's in my head... I'll do a hard copy before writing), but I can't think of how I'm going to end it or what direction I should take the story in once it gets to the climax.

Do any of you have any advice for figuring out things like this?

MrBF1V3
March 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I like stories which end, and not just stop. Bring to conclusion some counterpoint to the climax, with maybe a hint of what may happen next, and maybe comment in some way how things will be different now (if they will be).

I'm just making this stuff up, but it sounds good doesn't it?

B5

Ajax Torbin
March 29th, 2007, 07:38 PM
"an ending is natural, it flows from the beginning, mingles with the middle and arrives as soon as it it needed. a forced ending is contrived and artifical. you ask how to make an end? one does not make an end, when i have no more story, it will end."
~Robert Anson Heinlein~

nemisiscat
March 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Well, I don't want it to stop right after the climax, that's the thing. I know what will happen at the point and I don't know where to go from there. I want there to be resolution, etc.

BrianC
March 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM
You might not want to hear this, but there's no way for one of us to tell you how to end your story. There's numerous possibilties, none of which is necessarily correct. I can give you this advice: take as much time in the ending as it needs. Don't rush it. If you do, then you'll end up with The Historian.

Abby
March 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I think the ending really depends on the story and characters. What works best for their character arcs?

You can go many different ways. Just make it satisfying. :)

Mock
March 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Have someone die. It's fun.

James Carmack
March 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
If you can't figure out for the life of you how to end the story, get to writing. Let the story develop as you go and the ending might come to you. Then again, you might end up like poor Samuel Clemens, having your lead break down in a despair paralleling your own, only to bring things to an end in a weak, hackneyed fashion that subverts the tone of the rest of the story just to be done with it. I hope the latter case doesn't prove true for you, but, hey, Huck Finn is still seen as a literary masterpiece, so you might just manage to get away with it.

nemisiscat
March 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I wasn't asking how to end my story; I was asking for advice for coming up with an ending. ^_^;

As for someone dying, I plan on it.

Actually, this has got me to thinking... The whole story is based off of a premise and I've had no idea how to introduce the history of this world, to be honest. And the history, especially within the last two decades, is vital to understanding lore which pertains to events the main character has to deal with.

Maybe then, I should write an entire book from this premise (And I could, trust me, but it might be cliche), then write a second detailing the original story I wish to write... Or I could simply elude to the lore and then write something which explains it in detail... Something how like the The Legend of Huma was written for the Dragonlance series....

Anyway, I'll probably just get to writing then. It'd be easier to explain all of this to you if I could post the idea, but I really don't want to risk it being snagged (I've polled people on it who read a lot of fantasy and they said it's not something they've read before...).

Thanks for the feedback. =)

Rocket Sheep
March 30th, 2007, 01:56 AM
As long as the main character doesn't wake up from a dream or the butler doesn't do it, you can do anything.

Obviously you want the main character to force events to follow a path he/she wants. Take the main character to the point of the climax (literaturely speaking... ahem) and sit him/her down and interview him/her. Ask him/her what he/she wants to happen next and how he's/she's going to try and achieve that, point out the flaws in his/her plan, ie. if he/she really wanted to overpower the bad guy he/she should've taken up taekwondo years ago... tell him/her what the other characters in the plot are trying to do to end the story, and all the thwarting type behaviours they're up to, and then maybe you'll find plot holes, or that lovely twist that the reader wasn't expecting but still leaves him/her satisfied.

This works better if you are able to compartmentalise your personalities or are on strong medication... :confused: