View Full Version : New New Assistant.... Doctor Who Series 3

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Hobbit
March 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Doctor Who Series Three, the second starring David Tennant, started in the UK this evening. It had a new Assistant, and is being claimed as the furthest reaching series of the three most recent so far.

Certainly this first episode managed that - going from Earth to the Moon but do people think it was a success?

And what about the new assistant? How do you think it will develop?

[ADMIN REMINDER: Please use the [S P O I L E R] and [/ S P O I L E R] tags (as above, but without the spaces) for any big plot developments. Thank you.]

Hobbit

Envoy
April 1st, 2007, 03:12 AM
Really enjoyed it last night. Thought it was a good start to the season and thought Martha slotted in well.

milamber_reborn
April 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
It'll be another couple of months before we get the Xmas Special and Season 3 in Australia, so I'm rewatching Season 1 on DVD and enjoying it just as much as the first time.

I've read a fair few spoilers for this season and the general consensus is that Episode 1 was a success.

http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=12&showtopic=13026

Wulfa_Jones
April 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
I was a little underwhelmed... but did like the name of the episode "Smith and Jones".

I didn't like the whole granny vampire thing... while I liked the idea, I didn't like how it was carried out. I did like the rhino alien thing, but same the budget couldn't stretch to showing more than one of them and as for the silly biker guard things... they seemed a bit redundant.

As for the new assistant...

I don't have any issues with her, Dr Smith should make a good assistant. Again, the Davis seems to be putting emphasis on an assistants family and how the whole prettiness of domestic situations pale compared against what she and been through. Not sure about the whole romantic thing again... the Doctor moping over Rose and Martha falling for the Doctor. I did like the opening, with the Doctor appearing randoming and then it being linked to end of the episode. Quite clever.

However, looking forward to the next episode! Always like ones set in the past.

Khallandra
April 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I like her, the actress is just so charming it is impossible for me not to like her and her character. Her excitement plays out in her character, lets hope she keeps the level of enthusiasm the whole series!

Can't wait for Captain Jack to make his appearance though. And the short snippets of the season in the last series trailer makes the whole series look very interesting.

Wulfa_Jones
April 8th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Again, not over impressed with this new series. It was ok, I liked the guy who played Shakespeare and his character, but I didn't think much of the plot.

I did like the ending, with Queen Elizabeth claiming the Doctor to be her enemy, but with the Doctor not knowing anything about it. Not sure if it's going to be discussed in this season, but since she recognised that regeneration, it'll have to be in David Tennants reign. Interesting that the Doctor has made an enemy of the two English Queens.

Hobbit
April 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Khallandra: how are you getting to see Series 3 already?

Actually, I was a lot more positive about last nights. Some of the scriptlines were a lot snappier, and I think the new assistant is settling in well. I was happier with this one than the first episode.

But you're right Wulfa, the story wasn't anything new, really.

Hobbit

briruc
April 15th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I'm liking this series quite a lot so far - I think within the limitations of the format and their target audience, the writers and actors are doing a nice job of giving it a slightly dark undercurrent: both in the Doctor's character and his relationship with Martha. And I do think, if you take a step back and just consider what it is they're putting on our screens it's remarkable in some ways, e.g. last night's episode:

giant crab-things, eternal underground traffic jam of hover-cars, giant disembodied face dying in a tank, cat people (including a nun with a gun) ... sometimes you just get the feeling the writers are really having fun, and I love the fact that British TV has a series that can cram so much invention and oddness into less than an hour's show and, on the whole, get away with it ...

Hobbit
April 15th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Except that the crablike things are the Macra, first encountered by Patrick Troughton in 1967 and that the story (alas, another Russell T Davies!) had plot holes that just don't work.

Let's try:

How can a person warned of the fumes be hopping from car to car?

Or how about:
Traffic jams for years, but a fast lane you can get onto by having three in a vehicle? You've got time to produce a baby, and then go on the fast lane!

Or:
What happens in a car where the occupant dies? It's bound to happen if you're there for years, and there's no police to pick up the mess! It's not going to carry on moving in the line even if it's on autopilot. And there's those vehicles that break down... no way of getting them fixed!

And lets not forget:

The inevitable Russell T 'gay' moment. Yes we just had to have two of the characters being gay. *sigh* I don't object to homosexuality, just the way RTD has to ram it down your throats every chance he gets.

IMO you can have fun, but there's got to be some logicality to what's happening for the story to work.

I actually thought that the face of Boe ending was quite sad but less than it could've been. But then I thought that Rose's ending was way over the top!

New New York is this season's Cardiff!

Hobbit

briruc
April 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Oh, I wouldn't dream of trying to defend the plotting: none of it makes sense if you think about it for more than a nanosecond. I just think it's quite fun. And yes, it shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to have both fun and watertight plots, but one out of two's better than none out of two. Maybe I've just been so starved of British sf TV all these years that my standards have slipped ...