PDA

View Full Version : 28 Weeks Later - trailer

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JamesL
April 1st, 2007, 08:28 AM
Check out the trailer for 28 Weeks Later, the sequel to 28 Days Later - http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_atomic/28weekslater/

For anyone who is not familiar with the original 28 Days Later, the film was set in London after an outbreak of a virus that locked anyone who came into contact with it in a permanent state of rage. The film followed three characters - Jim, Selena and Hannah - as they struggled to survive in the grim, post-apocalyptic nightmare, constantly under theat from the 'infected' (basically zombies that run). The shots of a deserted London were particularly impressive and the film was a success, let down only by a weaker final third and some rather wooden acting from the young actress playing Hannah.

The sequel (which does not involve any of the original characters) picks the story up some time down the line and focuses on the American-led attempt to rebuild London and re-populate it. There are designated safe zones which have been cleared and re-built, and outside of these are areas that are still in need of cleaning up, with plenty of rotting, infected bodies needing burning.

The last infected person apparently died over six months ago. It seems however, that someone made a mistake...

The trailer is promising, but I'm not allowing myself to get too carried away. I love the first film, and am hoping that this sequel stays true to the style of the first. Danny Boyle unfortunately is not directing this time around, but is working closely on the project and has apparently even done some secondary shooting. Apparently the production team are eager to remain close to the spirit of the first film, even if the sequel is more action orientated.

boggle
April 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I loved 28 days later, not just for the awesome opening scene (where Jim wakes up in the hospital) and the menace of Christopher Ecclestone's character, but because it seemed so real and gritty. This trailer on the other hand looks all explosions and everything being gung ho...

I want it to be good. I really do. But I don't think it is going to be :(

kahnovitch
April 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
When I first read the synopsis my gut reaction was "the Americans are coming, there goes the neighbourhood" :p

However it looks like they've tried to keep the gritty feel of the first film, which is good. There are no HUGE stars in it and it hasn't been given that Hollywood blockbuster gloss, which is also all good.
I hated what happened to the Res Evil franchise.

The trailer showed enough for me to give it the benefit of the doubt that maybe it won't be completely ruined.

Konrad
April 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
:mad: But it seems like the little kid is the maincharacter.
Then you can't even hope that he'll turn into a zombie...

briruc
April 15th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I've been really looking forward to this movie, but got to say the trailer doesn't fill me with huge optimism - I just thought it's a bit ... dull. Maybe it's just me, but there's nothing in it that really grabbed me and said 'you must see this film'. Film itself might still turn out to be fantastic, but I just think if it's a great film you'd expect the trailer to blow your socks of. And my socks are still on after watching it.

And personally I'm with Konrad: having kids as central characters is a potentially worrying sign. Still, fingers crossed it can match up to the original (presence of robert carlyle is almost always a good sign, but I really wish Boyle was directing).

Deornoth
May 15th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I saw this last night (reviewed on my blog ;) ) and really enjoyed it. I'd say it stays close to the feel of the first film and the speed that the infected move at can really make you jump! The 'death by helicopter' scene is very gory, I bet they had fun doing that! I wasn't too keen on the acting from the two kids but everyone else seemed ok to me. As I live in London, some of the camera-work (deserted streets etc) felt really spooky...
All in all, well worth a look imho :cool:

briruc
May 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I've seen it now, too - liked it a bit more than I expected to, after being underwhelmed by the trailer. Still doesn't quite measure up to the first movie for me, but it's got a nice uncompromisingly grim and apocalyptic vibe going on all the way through, and some pretty good moments. Lots of points where it could have chickened out and gone for slightly less dark plot developments, but it never does. Just as well I didn't go into the cinema in need of cheering up ... Mind you, it'd be a funny sort of person who went to see a cannibal zombie movie to be cheered up.