PDA

View Full Version : Serenity beats Star Wars in SFX poll...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

juzzza
April 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Yep... Best Sci Fi Movie award goes to Serenity...

BBC NEWS SITE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm)

Thulsadoom
April 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Well, let's face it, it was an SFX poll... ;-) What amazes me, is that the BBC found it news-worthy!

Wulfa_Jones
April 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
I know, crazy!

As pointed out, it was an SFX poll and I think it's just sci-fi geeks voting. This was of course backed up by the BBC's own poll which had Star Wars as number 1. I also think that it's just a passing trend. In a few years they do it again and Star Wars will be back up top and Serentiy floating around in the top 10.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Serenity but it's not Star Wars and wouldn't exist with Star Wars. Not sure if Star Wars meant the whole trilogy, as of course Empire is the strongest of the 3 films!

Thulsadoom
April 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
It's just because Serenity is new, and is one of the few films to do an old-fashioned space adventure in recent years. Personally, I just thought it was an okay time-passer(Just my opinion, of course). I never imagined it would get the level of praise it has done.

if Alien, BladeRunner, or 2001 had been #1, I'd have given it a bit more credibility. I certainly wouldn't say Serenity's one of the top SF movies I've seen.

Gildor
April 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Well, this depends, are they talking about all six SW films or Star Wars a New Hope, if its the former i'd have to agree with Serneity as a No1 choice, it however doesn't beat Empire Strikes back or A New Hope on their own. Episodes were I,II & III were bloody awful.

But yeh, i'd agree with previous posters, this is just a passing trend of sorts.

Though this makes me wonder where the next top sci film is going to come from.

I have high hopes for Sunshine, but i've got my eyes on Avatar/Project 880, which is Camerons next project, ooh!

Alex
April 4th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Actually guys, your shooting yourselves in the foot here by saying it's a trend=)

Star wars has been hyped to the heavens since it was released 1978 and if someone even remotely assosciated with Sci-Fi even attempts to suggest that a series is as good or even better than Star wars they have been laughed at/scorned. *BLASPHEMY*

It is time for us sci'fi geeks to become a bit more open minded. If you view Firefly + serenity and compare it to the starwars movies I would say that Serenity+ Firelfly win hands down (And I'm a huge SW fan). It's abit unfair to compare the entire Starwars Saga to just serenity.

Serenity is one great sci-fi movie since it managed to capture most of the elements of the Tv-series and fit it in a 2 hour movie.

Sorry folks, Star Wars is one of the best Sci-fi movies out there but it can't be the best forever.

On a sidenote, I would be very interested into seeing how they designed the different polls. Because if u just send the poll out to a random 10.000 people, odds are that they have seen Starwars but they havn't seen firefly + serenity and hence will vote Star wars in the poll. If the poll should mean anything at all, all 10.000 people voting have to have seen both series.

Davis Ashura
April 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I like Star Wars, but I loved Serenity. I suppose the results might just be trendiness, but I tend to doubt it. After all, Firefly was on Amazon's top ten for DVD sales for over a year and Serenity nearly matched that. This is all from some show that only had 14 episodes from 5 years ago.

Wulfa_Jones
April 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Well with it being SFX - a Sci-Fi magazine I reckon the majority of people will have seen both films. With the BBC poll, people are less likely to have seen Serenity.

If we just take it as being Star Wars: A New Hope vs Serenity, a New Hope still wins hands down. Firefly was an ok series, it had some pretty weak episodes but enough strong ones to carry it (IMO).

It will take a lot to knock Star Wars from being the greatest Sci-Fi movie, for me and many many other people. Plus Star Wars as a classic status and classic films will always be remembered more fondly than anything new even if it is better.

Michael B
April 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
It will take a lot to knock Star Wars from being the greatest Sci-Fi movie, for me and many many other people. Plus Star Wars as a classic status and classic films will always be remembered more fondly than anything new even if it is better.
Can't fault this. The thing though that has changed is that computers now do the special effects, monsters, cities etc. The paper mache buildings and gorilla suits are now history. And yes films can look better these days, but some of the magic has gone.

Hobbit
April 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Well, it has caused some debate, as well as increase sales of Serenity at Amazon.co.uk by something like 860%. (In other words, they've sold 860 copies rather than the one they were expecting. ;) )

But it does read as a piece of soundbite puff on a slow news day to me.

I have nothing against Serenity: enjoyed the movie an awful lot. But such snap polls bring up all the usual problems on the criteria of 'greatness'. Greatness in terms of what, exactly? Enjoyability? Scale? Plot? Characterisation? Special effects? Effect on the genre? Effect on other films? Effect on creating interest in the genre? We could go on...

All of this depends on mood and the number of films you've seen, how many times you've seen it, etc etc. There's always the point that the importance of a film, or a TV programme or a book etc etc is always dependent on the impact on you personally, and that can vary so much. What I liked at 12 is not necessarily what I like now.

There's also the fact that the voting (not exactly large numbers in total) could also be swayed by logging on, voting, logging off, then logging on, and voting again may have influenced the result. This does rather make it possible for fans to adjust things. And Joss does have a lot of fans.

(If you're really interested, there's a different version coming out in the US later in the year. Might be worth saving your pennies for.)

So, taking all this into account, it seems to me to be very much a storm in a teacup, filling in space where needed. SFX do very nicely out of it (look what we can do!), Amazon do well out of it (extra sales!) and debates are generated for those who want to take part.

Interesting counterlist HERE (http://www.geekmonthly.com/blog/2007/04/02/12-films-sci-fi-films-better-than-serenity/).

Hobbit