PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Dave Duggins (a new guy)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

DaveD
April 12th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Hi everybody!

I'm Dave Duggins, editor and publisher of Spacesuits and Sixguns, a contemporary pulp fiction webzine, and creator/owner of Voidgunner for Writers, my creativity coaching website.

I've written and published some horror and fantasy short stories, and I have a dark fantasy novel, Watershed, under consideration at Tor (which just means it's sitting on some editor's desk).

Well ... nice to meet you! I look forward to hanging out with everybody. Feel free to come by the websites and say hi.

Take care!

Dave
http://www.spacesuitsandsixguns.com

KatG
April 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Hello Dave, and welcome! We ask people not to use signature URL's, as it is considered a form of advertising. I'm going to leave the Spacesuits and Sixguns link, because as a webzine, it is a potential market for writers here, but I have to remove the creativity coaching one. If you have any questions about this, send me or another staff member an Instant Message. You can also check out the section of the Guidelines concerning Promotion.

Rocket Sheep
April 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Always need more markets for pulp SF! Welcome aboard. :D

DaveD
April 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys! Sorry to have created more stress, KatG ... I promise to follow the rules from now on. :D

Jacquin
April 17th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys! Sorry to have created more stress, KatG ... I promise to follow the rules from now on. :D

Pfff, don't get too hung up on following the rules, just make sure that if you're gonna break them you do it with style! (Or wait until you've managed to wangle your way onto the moderating team... ):D

KatG
April 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Oh fine, this from the guy with the axe! You lasso the next batch then. :)

We try to be as lenient as possible with this stuff, while still protecting our members from what they don't want. And if a person is cooperative, then we're able to be more cooperative.

So give us more info about the webzine if you would. Also, of course, your own writing. We are always glad to have more imput around here.

DaveD
April 18th, 2007, 04:46 PM
You actually asked me to blather about my work? You really are a glutton for punishment, aren't you?

To start with, I have an article posted here, which I sort of forgot about:

http://www.sffworld.com/mul/220p0.html

Most of what I've written is horror, and everything I've published is horror - seventeen short stories in all (or is it eighteen?), which seems like pretty slim output if you look at the twenty-year time span. Well, life happens.

I published well in the early '90's, switched to novels, didn't publish them, wrote a bunch of music that nobody has heard, didn't find a band until '99, wrote all new material for that, started writing and publishing short fiction again, wrote a new novel, still shopping that ...

I've had a few things published over the last year or two. Last August, I was involved in a car accident that left me with a broken arm and a lot of bumps and bruises. I couldn't write for six weeks. I was bored silly. And Spacesuits and Sixguns was born. I started offering token payments, wasn't getting the quality of work I wanted, raised the pay rates to semi-pro (3 cents/word, $100 max) and never looked back. Now #2 is up and it's absolutely, hands-down the most fun I've had in my life. In a lot of ways, I enjoy it more than writing.

But I'm still writing, of course - a lot of nonfiction at the moment. The magazine spun off a writer's helper website, which became a full-time creativity coaching business, which is what I'm doing now, along with editing the magazine. I have the most fun job on the planet - publishing great writers and helping great writers get published.

Does that cover it? How many people stayed awake for the entire post? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Expendable
April 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM
There's not going to be a pop quiz, I hope.

Hi. You sound interesting. Don't disappoint. I'm glad that despite taking up the hectic life of a webzine publisher that you do take some time out to write something. It's very important.

Hope you like it here. We're mostly friendly.

-Ex.

DaveD
April 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Mostly friendly? Like Earth is mostly harmless?

Dawnstorm
April 19th, 2007, 01:35 AM
"Ooh, look! How pretty! What's it called?"
"Dunno. Venus something. Check it out."

:p

Interesting article. Every step you take is a "field trip", especially if you have what Holbrook calls a magpie mind (love that expression).

And once you know how people really talk you know that would never work in fiction. ;)