View Full Version : Stardust Trailer

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Banger
April 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
The trailer for Neil Gaiman's Stardust is up on the movie's official site (http://www.stardustmovie.com/site.htm) and on Apple Trailers (http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/stardust/hd/). Good cast, good production, good story, cool special effects - I'm getting very excited about this one :)

redhead
April 12th, 2007, 06:25 PM
i can't wait to see this movie! although, alas, i had to watch the trailer with no sound, as my speakers don't work and my 'puter is a few breaths away from death.

i hope the movie keeps that innocent, kind of floating feel that the book had.

CiciTj
April 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
I cant wait!!! August 10th, yay! I thought it wasn't going to be out untill christmastime...:rolleyes:

ravenlynne
May 11th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I just saw the trailer last week and I can't wait either!

saintjon
May 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM
that's quite the cast they lined up for that thing isn't it?

kalitara
August 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM
The cast is incredible... and the trailer left me wide-eyed and holding my breath. I haven't yet read the book, but I still have almost a week to catch up!

I can't wait for this one, either...

Khallandra
August 5th, 2007, 03:43 AM
From the trailer it looks like they have done a good job visually :)

AuntiePam
August 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM
i hope the movie keeps that innocent, kind of floating feel that the book had.

That's an excellent description. Despite the one-time use of the F word. :)

IMDB shows a cast listing for Yvaine's sister. I just read the book over the weekend, and I don't recall a sister, unless they mean the Moon. Think that's it?

I'm really, really glad that Michelle Pfeiffer is playing an evil nasty witch. I don't like MP at all, so this works for me.

Also good that there will be a Narrator. I love Narrators in fantasy films. They help convey that special fairy-tale-story feeling. Plus, one of my fantasies is that Ian McKellan is my grandpa. :D

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12594675

Link to today's radio interview with Neil Gaiman, talking about the movie. It sounds like he's happy with it.

Banger
August 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
My wife and I saw Stardust last Friday. It was an enjoyable two hours and ten minutes, although I suspect I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the book first.

The basic plot is the same: the dying ruler of the faery kingdom of Stormhold, intending to give his sons a quest to decide who will succeed him, throws his symbol of leadership - a precious stone on a necklace - into the sky and accidentally hits a star. In the English town of Wall, so named because of its proximity to a wall separating the mundane world from the faery world, a young man named Tristan is pining for a girl named Victoria. He sees the star fall over the land of faery and promises to fetch it for Victoria if she will marry him. Meanwhile, back in the land of faery three ancient witches send out their eldest to get the star's heart, which possesses the power to give them their youth back. Thus, the heirs of Stormhold, Tristan and the witch all seek the star, who it turns out is a person.

There are small differences between the book and film that I didn't quite like but understood for time compression - e.g., there is another town on the other side of the wall, not a once every 9 years market - and big differences like the conclusion, where the three plotlines (Tristan, the princes of Stormhold, and the witches) culminate in a Hollywood summer blockbuster climax that contrasts jarringly with the novel's distinctively Gaimanesque themes, where sometimes the bad guy doesn't have to die for there to be a happy ending, and even happily ever after comes to an end.

And then there's Robert DeNiro.

DeNiro plays "Captain Shakespeare," the captain of a lightning-collection expedition (the captain's name in the book is Alberic). This part of Gaiman's book was relatively short, maybe ten pages or so, but Shakespeare and his rough and tumble crew play a much more prominent role in the film.

As does Shakespeare's dirty little secret: he's a mincing, dainty, hair-dressing cross-dresser. If you've ever wanted to see Robert DeNiro dance like a can-can girl, here's your chance. The audience seemed to get a kick out of it, but for the life of me I can't figure out why the screenwriters made such a drastic addition to Gaiman's story when it did nothing to advance the plot.

Overall, I had fun watching Stardust, but some of the changes serve as potent reminders that sometimes it's better to leave things as they are, especially when such changes dilute the qualities that make Gaiman's novel so good.

Judging by the box office last weekend (only $9M in the US), it looks like this movie will have a short run. While I feel bad because I am a fan of Gaiman's work and would like to see it receive a popular positive response, the problems that I had with this particular adaptation mitigate this regret. I'm afraid to see what they would do to something like American Gods.

Phellim
August 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Stardust seems like a good adaption, although I haven't read the book yet, I just mean there is a good cast and it's high quality. I don't know if I'll see it though, it looks like it might be for kids... Well, it's not out here 'til October, or so I'm told, so I'll have plenty of time to decide.

I've known about it for quite some time, but I thought it was written by Jonathan Ross' wife, Jane, but it turns out she just co-wrote the screenplay. I thought that was strange, seeing as I only knew of her as an ex-model and presenters wife, but apparently she is a friend of Gaiman, and even appears as a character in one of his short stories.

Anyway, good luck to Neil, I'll defintely be seeing Beowulf (for which he co-wrote the screenplay). It's seems he's becoming a rising force in Hollywood.

Oh, and Ricky Gervais' character looks great in the trailer!