View Full Version : The Famous Title Flash Fiction Contest

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

MrBF1V3
April 16th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I've been needing to do this for a while, and it's my day off, and I'm bored. This is usually a recipe for disaster...

Titles are not copywrited. It is very important to know that. But it is also important to note that a title is often the first thing someone will read of a story you write, and all too often it is the last. So maybe, in our own small way, this friendly contest can stir us to be more intentional about how we entitle our stories. (Or maybe its all just for fun, you decide.)

I'm proposing the Famous Title SFFWorld Flash Fiction Contest.

It's easy, costs nothing to enter, and counts as part of your first million words. (You know, the first million words are practice.) Also, it's kind of fun.

Here's how it goes:
*Post a notice of intent in this thread. The more the merrier.
*Pick a famous title, perhaps a story you really like, or perhaps just a good title. As usual, feel free to be creative. Think about it, haven't you always wanted to write War and Peace? Or for that matter, Cheeseburger in Paradise?
*Retreat to your inner sanctum and write something. (If it's really good see if FlashSpec 2 is still accepting submissions.) This story is to be flash fiction, which in this case means 1000 words or less. The more clever the better.
*Post your story in the stories section with a note saying that it is part of this contest. Added bonus; watch as the stories section is populated by famous titles and wonder what it looks like to the random tourist.
*Post a note in this thread and add a link leading back to your story. (Any difficulty with that, just ask.)
*At the end of one week,April 23rd, I will start a new thread with a poll. The first post will have links to all entrys. Feel free to read the stories and vote for your favorite story. Others, even non-entrants will be invited to read and vote.
*At the end of the voting week, a new flash fiction King or Queen (or Other) will be crowned.

FAQs:
*What do I get if I win?
Whoever wins gets to choose the topic of the next contest, along with bragging rights, of course. Between one and two months between contests is suggested, but it is totally up to the winner.

*Are there any "carry overs" from the last contest I should know about?
Funny you should ask. Under no circumstances am I (MrBF1V3) to win this contest. -see? It's now in the rules. Certain unidentified moderators are not allowed to change or effect in any way the outcome of the contest.

*Do you have any helpful suggestions?
Just one, if your story has a villain, a clown or some repugnant character, that character should be named "Jacquin". (Nothing personal. :D )

*Where did you come up with this idea?
My inspiration was this thread: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16475 and also my lack of common sense.

And, by the way, I'm in.

B5

Hereford Eye
April 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I, too, also am in (http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/2371p0.html).

I wonder who's 'it' now.

MrBF1V3
April 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Wow, you write fast. I'm still on the first paragraph --maybe I think too much.

Anyway, thank you, thank you very much.:)

B5

Jacquin
April 17th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Certain unidentified moderators are not allowed to change or effect in any way the outcome of the contest.

*Do you have any helpful suggestions?
Just one, if your story has a villain, a clown or some repugnant character, that character should be named "Jacquin". (Nothing personal. :D )

I thought for a moment you might be referring to me, but as I am clearly identified it must be someone else...

Maybe Juzzza? :)

Also, I'm in!

MrBF1V3
April 17th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Um ... Identified moderators either. As if Juzzza would ever do anything like that.

-I'm just having a bit of fun,and it is just a suggestion.

Anyway, welcome Jacquin.

Either way, I'm not too worried. Who in the world would vote for this: http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/2373p0.html ?

No one will ever know how close I came to writing Webster's Unabridged Dictionary. :) (In a thousand words or less!)

B5

Don't vote for mine.

BrianC
April 17th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I'm in (http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/2374p0.html). In honor of the Pulitzer Prize.

Jacquin
April 17th, 2007, 09:02 AM
What is this? Kick Jacquin week? :D

Anyone would think I had doomed the entire universe to a slow painful death...

The Origin of The Species (http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/2375p0.html)

MrBF1V3
April 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
If you look close it seems more like blame B5 week. It's just like at work. Jacquin, no one blames you about the universe and all--or they won't for very much longer.:rolleyes:

Welcome BrianC and Jacquin-interesting, I considered doing the Origin for a few moments. I actually think I'll finish Solo Guitar Playing for Beginners, I might even keep the title.

Keep up the good work.

B5

BrianC
April 17th, 2007, 11:34 AM
By the way, if you do think your story is good, don't post it here and then send it to Neil for consideration for Flashspec. The story will be ineligible as previously published. :o If you think it's that good, send it to Neil first.

Hereford Eye
April 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
The sound of an athletic whistle brings the crowd to a hush. The referee moves to a vacant spot on the playing field to raise a yellow card which he then waves in front of Jacquin's face as if to say: nyah nah nah nah nah nyah!
That's a five vote deduction for incomplete rule following in that there is no provision in Mr. BF1V3's basic manifesto for altering famous titles.

*Pick a famous title, perhaps a story you really like, or perhaps just a good title. As usual, feel free to be creative.
Jacquin's coach comes storming off the bench to confront said referee. "Here, here! What's this "be creative" part? Poor ole Jaq-ster was just bein' 'is usual creative self, mate. What's this yellow card nonsense?"
But, the referee is adamant, rock solid. Turns out he is a Brazilian ref with little or no tolerance for the Cross of St. George. He waves the yellow card at the coach and then whistles the competition to continue.:D