View Full Version : Question: Musical Motivation

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Twilight_Lotus
April 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to start my project on a sci fi/fantasy story. Can anyone suggest what kind of background music I should try?

James Carmack
April 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
The Episode III soundtrack. Just don't blame me when you wind up dismembering and immolating your emo protagonist. ^o^

warfitz45
April 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I would say the 2 best soundtracks that I've used is:

King Arthur (the most recent movie... the one w/ the Celtic-like Guinevere and Arthur being a roman... at least as far as I remember - about 2 years old). This is GREAT for most any type of writing, but positive w/ moods and the like.

Pirates of the Caribbean. Lots of high adventure music.

Jacquin
April 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Anything by McFly...

JJohns
April 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I like listening to Loreena McKennitt, Howard Shore (LotR), and this one song by The Polyphonic Spree called Together We're Heavy.

AgentRustyBones
April 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I've used a variety of artists and genres, depending on the mood I'm trying to set for myself-- from Green Day (Boulevard of Broken Dreams) to Enya (just about anything she does) to Vangelis (Soundtrack to 1492) to Gordon Lightfoot (Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald).

One song I had to find recently was Mad Mad World--found that one because of a videogame commercial.

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

pennywise86
April 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I usually listen to everything, from Pearl Jam, Audioslave, Coldplay, Tragically Hip, REM, to Bush's presidential speeches for motivation.:D Kidding about the last, the band Bush.

I usually find that certain lines from songs find their way into or influence my writing, it's just a matter of being subtle about it.

JamesL
April 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I've never really figured out if listening to music is beneficial to my writing or not. I always used to listen to music when doing homework, but writing seems to be a different matter.

When I do listen to music while writing, often it will be the LOTR soundtracks. I have all three, and they all sound remarkably similar. ;)

Good stuff though.

Expendable
April 18th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I try for mostly instrumental music, cirque du soliel soundtracks, gregorian chant, enya, beatles, Hanenone (Haibane Renmei soundtrack), any of the Pure Moods cds, Eurythmics 1984 (great for dark writing) - and sometimes some nature sounds like Thunderstorm, Ocean Surf, Zen Garden (lost mine :( ). Just pick something to fit the mood you're going for.

If you're looking for something dream-like with energy, try "The girl in Byakkoya - White Tiger Field (http://teslakite.com/freemp3s/e/paprika/)." It's Japanese but don't let that stop you.

arodace
April 30th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I would recommend all the music pieces in the film Lord of the Rings. Since it is a fantasy film, it's suits your fantasy side.
For sci-fi, i would recommend a hard dose of rock (for action scenes) like Muse - Exo-Politics. Its about aliens falling down and becoming our leaders!!!
:cool: