PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea... been done before

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
April 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
A big example is StarWars... but I like the idea of Science Fiction combined with Fantasy elements. Dragons and bullets... elves with guns... it all sounds like a great combination. Agreed?

I think lightsabers and beamswords are out of date now, however.

SeanL
April 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Some ideas and concepts are broad enough that it becomes a simple matter of one writer's interpretation of a specific concept versus anothers, but some are too closely associated with landmarks of the genre. It invites comparison, kinda like what would happen if someone wrote a hero quest involving little people and rings.

James Carmack
April 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Science fantasy is a more vigorous and prolific genre than you might realize, Zero, particularly in Japan. Take the Star Ocean series, for instance, or Tenchi Muyou. Also bear in mind that Star Wars is an amalgam of countless tried and true archetypes themed along the lines of the old Saturday serials (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc.) Lucas loved so much. "Nihil novum sub sole."

Like Sean says, when you speak in such broad terms, you find yourself among all sorts of company. The devil's in the details. Even so, no matter what you can think up, it's been done. The real trick is in the presentation. Also, you want to avoid looking too much like any of the giants. That doesn't mean naming your leads Duke, Lan, Neya, and Moochakka. Try to put out a little more effort than that. Unless you're doing a parody, that is. Then it's par for course.

I think lightsabers and beamswords are out of date now, however.

It hasn't stopped Sunrise. Unless I'm mistaken, they're still using 'em.

(Gundam SEED fans feel free to speak up if I'm wrong. I stumbled on the end of Gundam SEED Destiny when it aired on TV, but I don't remember much about it. I kinda doubt they've given up on their favorite melee weapon, though.)

Expendable
April 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM
SubZero, ideas are a dime a dozen. So what if someone wrote or filmed or produced something similiar 1-500 years ago? What's important is how you're telling the story, your personal twist on the idea. Your unique spin.

Naicisum
May 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Hmm...
One time someone told me 'everything' has been said already...
(I wonder whether she was the first to say that ;) )

So I guess it might be true that all (good) basic elements whence a story originates have been used before, but a real writer succeeds at combining two or more ideas that haven't been combined yet, but do have a link that makes your writing creative and fresh to the reader.

For example:
In a comic I read there was a guy that goes berserk everytime it rains;
(common fact, nothing special; see werewolves + full moon)
Somewhere during the story he attacks the protagonist, and then, when it stops raining, he humbly appologizes, and they make peace.
Some bit further in the story however, they are surounded by a dozen of men all pointing guns at them; that's where the writer shows his creativity, instead of making some superman from his leading character, all he needs to do for them to escape is create a storm, turning the wereberserker berserk so he can eliminate the armed men, I liked that :o

Generally superpowers are too unlimited. (according to me that is...)
Someone gets born, and goes 'O great, I have superpowers'
That's simply too easy. But here the power was introduced to the reader as a negative thing, a thing that can't even be controlled. Yet the writer gave it a positive turn.

James Barclay
May 9th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Hey SubZ

Check out 'Grunts' by Mary Gentle. That's Orcs with guns. Hugely tongue in cheek and very entertaining. Just goes to show that no idea is necessarily new, but a new angle can always be found...

NOM