PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing Manga...And the OVAs!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

thefalcon
April 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Tell us what you think about Hellsing, the manga series by Kohta Hirano (Genius!)

Like....Hellsing: The Dawn, the TV series, the Manga, the OVAs, anything Hellsing related.

PLUS: The third Hellsing Ultimate OVA was released a month ago, but recently got English subs...whaddaya think of this latest installment?

Sorry if there's already a Hellsing-specific thread, but I couldn't find anything...

James Carmack
May 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Well, I own the eight tankoubon currently available, the TV series and the first disc of the OAV (with the second on the way), so I reckon I have a horse in this race. ^_^

Hirano's artwork is all over the place in terms of both consistency and quality (which seems to be fairly common in the stuff coming out of Young King Ours), but the premise, plot and characters are definitely compelling.

While the TV series had more consistent character design, the Incognito eps were incredibly sucky (and Incognito himself is one of the lamer villains I've encountered in my time). The OAV benefits from a larger budget, looser restrictions and greater fidelity to the original, but the consistency of the TV series' art (which is admittedly blander) goes out the window (which also happens to bring it more in line with the original). The fact that Jouji Nakata voices Alucard alone is probably the best reason to have the anime in all its forms. ^_^ The TV series' seiyuu for Father Anderson was kind of annoying by virtue of his voice while Norio Wakamoto's portrayal in the OAV is a bit annoying on account of the broken Japanese he uses. (Still, when he howls "E~~~~~~~~~~~~~~IMEN!!", you really feel the crazy. I swear, the older Wakamoto gets, the creepier he becomes. ^_^; )

I haven't read any of Hellsing: The Dawn yet, but I'm sure to pick it up once they compile a tankoubon. It definitely looks interesting.

In short, I'm a fan of the franchise, warts and all. And Hirano is a nut. If you can make out his chickenscratch handwriting, his little comments are hilarious. ^o^

thefalcon
June 22nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
I like the OVAs better- (or is is OAV? I've never been sure...) Anyway, I liked them better because my favorite character is Pip Bernadotte (or whatever his name is...Bernadette? Vernedead? Huh?) and I was disapointed that he wasn't in the TV series.
And you're totally right. Incognito was a really lame villain. He ran around naked most of the time, and had tatoos that came to life and made him regenerate, and a gun that appeared magically out of his arm. All of which simply made him even worse. That one giant eyeball he had was pretty funny looking, though. Yeah.

And speaking of the TV series...does anyone know what the lyrics to the song at the beginning of the show mean? The song is called Logos Naki World (or A World without Logos) and the lyrics are like a weird, meaningless jumble of english and...something...really weird...
Not to mention the fact that it's really catchy.

James Carmack
June 23rd, 2007, 01:54 AM
Logos Naki World is gibberish plain and simple. It's not meant to mean anything, just to sound like something. Given the limited efficacy of six years of English training on the general populace, it's no wonder they can get away with this.

Random Listener: "Eigo desu yo ne. Kakkou ii yo ne."

In other news, both OAV and OVA are correct, but I feel funny shouting "EGGS!" in Latin, so I use "OAV".

James Carmack
June 24th, 2007, 08:36 PM
As for Pip's name, "Bernadotte" is probably the best romanization out there. You have to realize that Hirano himself doesn't know English well enough to do the romanizations himself (as he demonstrated with his "Arucard" early in the manga).

cheese
June 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
PLUS: The third Hellsing Ultimate OVA was released a month ago, but recently got English subs...whaddaya think of this latest installment?

Sorry if there's already a Hellsing-specific thread, but I couldn't find anything...

I'm a big Hellsing fan as well. I have watched the original Hellsing anime (hated it), and read all the chapters available for Hellsing, and Hellsing: The Dawn. I have watched the 3 Hellsing OVA's that have been released. I started first on the Hellsing manga by chance when I picked it out at Chapters.

On a separate thought, I wish I could of gone to Sakura-con in Seattle because Kouta Hirano was in attendance. It was hard to accept that he was down in Seattle, yet I couldn't go because of the timing. My friend rubbed has rubbed it in countless times that she got to see him, and I wasn't able to come. :(

Thoughts on Hellsing OVA 3:

The animation this time looked weaker to me then in the first two OVA's. It's clear that they took short-cuts left, right, and center to save money. OVA's are always hard to do because animators usually do these on the side and don't have as much time as they normally would like. It just didn't look fluid to me, which I didn't like that much. The story was well adapted (like the previous two) and I liked how the humour was included from the manga.

thefalcon
September 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I think that everyone in the world found out about this before I did, but I just discovered that Hellsing OVA 3 is coming out in English on October 16th...
And that OVA 4 makes it's Japanese debut (hopefully) on October 5th, assuming that the date isn't bumped back.

Having just bought the first OVA for a rediculous price about a week ago, I feel kind of cheated- if I'd known, I would have pre-ordered OVA 3 instead. XD

By the way: Does anyone know the address for the official (English) OVA website? The only one I found was in Japanese, which my old junker of a computer doesn't support. So, instead of staring at translatable Japanese characters, I get a bunch of boxes. Can anyone help?

cheese
September 14th, 2007, 07:22 PM
By the way: Does anyone know the address for the official (English) OVA website? The only one I found was in Japanese, which my old junker of a computer doesn't support. So, instead of staring at translatable Japanese characters, I get a bunch of boxes. Can anyone help?
http://www.hellsingultimate.com/

That's the official website...If you haven't found it already (which you probably have).

Anyways, I'll be attending Sakura-con in 2008. Last year Kouta was there signing autographs and answering questions. Hopefully he comes around this year. The convention better have good security, because once I see him I wouldn't doubt that I'll go crazy. Stage rush! :D

"Yes, We're Sorry, The "Lying Wild Geese" were Idiots again and we Overshot Production, and Thusly we cannot guarantee the Original Release Date. So We have to Postpone it a bit. hey' it's kind of Funny that we're announcing this now, right when the next Chapter has been postponed in the OURs Book... In all Seriousness though, we're not going to be done in time. the Originally planned Run Time of 57 Minutes keeps going up! it's already going to be at least 8 minutes longer, and that's just in the Major's Speech! Our Goal here is to be able to add the scenes we wanted to Add, and Still make it the Highest Quality we can, so we unfortunately have to postpone it, but I guess it was inevitable, we haven't done one that We didn't Postpone yet, so we were due on this one. So, I'm Very Sorry you have to wait longer, but please just wait the extra time, it will be worth it."

The fourth OVA has officially been pushed back in release date.

thefalcon
September 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Noooooo.... not another delay... boohooo...

*composes herself with difficulty*

Well, it will be worth it, seeing as how the OVA will be over an hour long and feature the Major's "Gentlemen, I love War" speech. What more can you ask?
Except for hoping that these people won't screw up with the English voice acting, of course. With all of these characters making their first appearances, they'd better not screw up the voice acting period!

That's the other thing I'm anxious about... I've been imagining these characters sounding a certain way. I know that most readers of the manga have their own opinions of what these people should sound like, and that some will be dissapointed.
... I've heard Yuri Lowenthal (Pip's voice actor) in the vidoegame "Medal of Honor: Rising Sun", and I thought he was pretty good... but who's doing Maxwell's English voice? Whoever voiced him in Japanese was perfect...
Well, if the very last scene in OVA 1 before the credits is any judge, then the Major's English voice actor is a pretty good match too.

Well... if OVA 4 is being delayed, at least we still have the English release of OVA 3 to look foreward to.

thefalcon
September 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
http://www.hellsingultimate.com/
That's the official website...If you haven't found it already (which you probably have).

Hahahaha, you're right. That was the official website I found when I was messing around!
Thanks alot anyway!