PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary... the future of broadcasting?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
May 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Sanctuary is a new Sci-Fi series staring StarGate: SG1's Amanda Tapping as an English monster hunter.

The series uses CGI sets to create a noir-like cityscape - a bit like Sin City. However, the level of the effect is much more Sky Captain (made a few years before Sin City and doesn't look as good).

The series will be made up of 15 minute episodes and is to be broadcast via the internet only.

At present there is a trailer of sorts over at http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/. Looks pretty cool, Tapping's English accent is a little off and some of the effects are a little on the shakey side but otherwise it looks to be interesting.

I understand the show is directed by a regular SG1 director and written by a SG1 writer... Who knows, maybe we'll get a few other SG1 actors popping up now they're unemployed. Thinking of which, I'd love to see Claudia Black get her own genre series... something cool and action packed.

The 1st four webisodes will be free (starts broadcasting on 14th May) and then payment will be required.

I like the idea, I've no idea how much it cost but it'll be interesting to see if it works. Could be a route for new interesting ideas that no networks are willing to pick up.

Eldanuumea
January 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I don't know about Sanctuary's beginnings as described above, but I watch it on the Sci-fi Channel and have found it interesting. At first, I loved everything about it, but then somehow things got muddy for me. I don't want to give away anything, but the emphasis of the plot has shifted drastically, from finding and helping to save "abnormals" to fighting against some "cabal."

The season finale was strong enough to have me waiting for the new season to begin, but I do hope the show gets back to the basic idea of running the Sanctuary and finding and protecting strange creatures.

I agree that Amanda Tapping's British accent is way off, but then she's been around awhile and seen so much, perhaps her accent is becoming something analogous to an American Midwestern accent - which is to say, barely any at all.

My favorite character is Ashley......she's beautiful and tough and cool in the face of danger......like some Nordic goddess who is fearless and can take on anyone and anything.

david johnson
January 13th, 2009, 03:18 AM
amanda IS english.

Wulfa_Jones
January 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Oddly although I made the first post in regards to this show, I never got around to watching it until ITV3 started showing in.

It is quite enjoyable.

Amanda Tapping was born in England, but moved to Canada at a very young age. The accent is pretty poor, but not as bad as some.

Eldanuumea
January 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
"....but then she's been around awhile and seen so much, perhaps her accent is becoming something analogous to an American Midwestern accent - which is to say, barely any at all."

When I wrote this I was thinking of the character Helen Magnus, not Tapping, BTW.

:o
I had no idea Amanda Tapping was English. Just goes to show.......!
I am relieved to find she spent most of her formative years in Canada, as that slightly excuses my ignorance! (very slightly)

saintjon
January 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
well her character seems somewhat removed from england too so whatever. I think the show is good enough, the girlfriend and I watch it on the movie network. I don't know what it is (watching lots of True Blood maybe) but lately I've been just FIENDING for one of these shows to have a real kickass werewolf roll in and rip all kinds of stuff/ people/ scenery to pieces so it's really disappointing to me that the tech guy wants to be all like, "I don't wanna be a werewolf even though it's been the only thing that saved me a couple times". I wonder when that Benicio Del Toro movie is coming out?

Ashley is a good character but they pretty much dogged her out in that finale I thought.

A lot of shows I watch I end up relating back to playing D+D with my friends, and out of all those big 5 characters I felt most like I'd want to be the Jack the Ripper guy. Dimension travel + killer instincts is pretty sweet.

I like the Tesla character but I could really do without them making him a vampire. It doesn't really seem to serve much of a purpose other than to make two legends even more daunting by combining them I guess. (of course Tesla was a real person but there seems to be a lot of heresay and debate over how much of what he claimed he could he could actually do)

I didn't realize I had this much to say about Sanctuary. I must be a bit more into it than I thought.

PeterWilliam
February 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I've the show set to DVR. It took some time for me to warm up to it, but now, with the advent of the 'cabal,' it provides some serial continuity to an ongoing plotline. It tends to be the kind of television series mechanism I fall for (also DVRing BSG, Lost, 24, Heroes, Fringe, Lie to Me and Legend of the Seeker).

Tidus
April 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
At first I didn't like it. But toward the end off the series it started to get more interesting, now can't wiat to see what happens next.

Eldanuumea
April 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
When is the show going to start up again? I miss it.:(

Right Brane
April 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
The show has a lot of parallels to the Planetary GNs, which is what initially drew me to it. Coming up with reasonable explanations for a lot of modern myths is also interesting, always (though, due to the nature of the show, they have limited themselves to monsters and other creatures). It's just hard for me to figure out where they can go with it... much like Planetary, it is in danger of running out of steam before it even knows it's happened.

And I am not going to keep watching if it just looks like the show is heading for a too-easy, too-predictable "Humans vs Monsters" shadow mega-war...