PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 3 (inc Iron Man)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
May 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Released today, Spiderman 3 is potentially the last film with the orginal key cast and director and by the sound of the reviews that is a good thing.

In general reviews suggest that while there are some great set peices, overall the film is lacking. Venom is under used, Gwen Stacy is under used and due to the 3 emenies situation none of them realy get very well developed.

Worst of all (not really plot spoiler, but still I figured I'd black it out):

Venom/Eddie Brock doesn't refer to himself as "we". From what I've read Topher Grave and Bryce Howard do great jobs and I think could have made great replacements for Maguire and Dunst (never really liked Dunst as MJ - too short!). Venom is under used greatly and sounds like he barely features in the movie, Raimi has always said he never liked the character and I feel that he only used him due to pressure from fans/studio. Maybe he should have left him for the next director...

Of course, these are only reviews from other sources - I've not yet seen the movie myself and I'm still looking forward to it.

I'm planning to go see it this weekend and so will post my thoughts then.

Anyone else seen it yet?

On another note - there are some images of the in prodution Iron Man film floating about and it looks pretty darn good. Suit wise there are images of the first grey suit and so moving footage of the modern classic red and gold suit. Both look really cool - the grey suit looks like it's been knocked together out of scrap, while the red and gold one looks amazing.

Zsinj
May 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I'm very sorry to say this, but I just got back from Spiderman 3, and it was horrible! Hollywood butchered the Spiderman comics with this movie just like they butchered the X-Men with X-Men 3! It pisses me off! :mad:

First off, Gwen Stacy was just a casual fling in the movie to make Maryjane jealous. Everybody knows that in the comics, Gwen and Parker were seriously involved and about to get married when she was killed. Secondly, as Wulfa stated, Venom was MASSIVELY underplayed! They killed him off too fast If I remember right, he was a pain in Spidey's butt for a very long time. They totally ruined the whole Black Suit Saga with this film! AAARGH! What's more, Venom was basically the black suit with a set of claws and fangs. Thirdly, did anyone here find the Sandman to Sandzilla scene a little hokey? Yeah, I thought so. And lastly, Harry Osbourne fighting side by side with Spidey? Come on! Besides Doc Ock, the Green Goblin is basically the arrchenemy of Spiderman! And the costume! Uck! According to the comics, he should have worn the same costume as his father. And in the end he gets killed! This really burst my bubble. Yeah, I know Doc Ock was killed too in the second one, but I was willing to let that slide because it was such a good movie.

I tell ya one thing, I'm definitely losing my faith in comic-to-film adaptations anymore. Yeah, I'll probably go see Fantastic Four 2 and Iron Man and Captain
America when they come out, but my hopes aren't exactly gonna be soaring. Don't expect me to go to another Spidey sequel or X-Men installment, though. If Marvel films butchered their flagship character's story, then I highly doubt they would care very much about the classic, epic story arcs of their other characters either.

JonLaidlow
May 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah - weakest of the 3, but still enjoyable. Coupla things:

Gwen Stacy is named Gwen Stacy as an homage, a nod to the fans. There's no reason she couldn't be a new character.

Emo Spiderman is probably meant to make Emo teens younger brothers and sisters laugh, not appeal to Emo kids...

The Emo Spidey does a jazz-piano and dance routine in the bar. It felt like a dream sequence that somebody decided to promote to reality. The sense of hyper-reality didn't really work - did we know Pete was a piano whizz?

Unlike other Spidey villains in the movies, like the Goblin, Doc Ock, and Sandman, Venom doesn't really have the same link/parallel with Pete's story. he's a much later creation, and Marvel keep insisting he appeals to kids. He doesn't work for me, but if I were a kid he'd be the stuff of my nightmares (all those teeth, the black sticky costume) and I'd probably love him. But there's no real explanation of what he is - his motivation comes from Eddy.

I'd have preferred it if Harry had saved Pete at the end because he wanted to be the one who killed him, not because he suddenly realised he was wrong. What good is Spidey's nemesis if he turns good?

And what was with the English reporter narrating the final battle? Am I not allowed to see it for myself? Why the need for reaction shots?

Ouroboros
May 7th, 2007, 12:23 PM
It's not bad, but it's far, far too long. Someone should have been allowed at it with scissors, and we'd have a shorter, crisper movie with much more impact.

d_waddon
May 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Is it not time for marvel to enlist a stusio to make a film that is true to form of a comic series.
So far they have not added their greatness to any film titles. So there is a clear message here, stay away from films and stick to comics!!!!

Priestvyrce
May 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM
The problem for me, not just the length, was that there was a enough story for three films(okay,maybe 2 and half films). I remember wandering in and out of the film. This movie just couldn't hold onto my attention, though I did like some of the fight moments.

The thing between Peter and harry should have been a movie onto itself. The battle for Harry's soul would have been a very exciting thing to watch, instead of what happened in the movie.

I liked that they re-imagined the Sandman's history and his impetus for doing what he was doing. Again, this copuld have been a full movie in and of itself.

Finally, Venom. Never really liked the character much. Yes, I did enjoy his first appearance in comics, but then (for me) he became way over used. The Venom part of the movie could(and should) have been a two part movie. We needed more on Eddie Brock and maybe make Gwen more interesting than she was in the movie.

If they do a fourth movie and who says they won't(especially with the opening box office)? I do hope that they go back to what they did in the first two movies and give us a story.

-Asher-
May 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I saw this yesterday, with 3 of my cousin's kids. (ages 13, 10, 9) and none of us liked it. This movie has jumped into my most disappointing ever list. It is worse than Batman & Robin and even Speed2.

I wont spoil anything, but there is no story, the actors seem to have sleepwalked through this film (except J.K. Simmons, despite the crap they give him and the girl playing Gwen) and there is a bizarre sequence where Peter Parker channels Vinny Barbarino, Tony Manero and Steve Martin's Wild and Crazy Guy.

This is what happens when the studio gets involved in the creative process. Why haven't studios learned to leave directors alone?

If you haven't gone, don't bother. Save your money and time for something else.

Zsinj
May 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Asher, you've definitely hit the nail on the head there in comparing it to Batman and Robin! As I was watching it in fact, I thought it did indeed have that ridiculous feel that Batman and Robin had. I was quite pissed when Petey started sporting the emo look. That's when the movie hit the wall for me pretty much.

And Priest, yes, the parts about Parker's conflict with Harry Osbourne, the struggle of the Sandman, and the black suit and Venom could have been handled better with three seperate movies, each devoted to the characters. Hell, the whole epic scope of the Black Suit Saga could have taken up two movies! And am I mistaken, or does Harry Osbourne later become the Hobgoblin, and further on, the Demogoblin in the comics.

Waddon, I also agree wholeheartedly with you, if this bastardizing of Marvel's epic storylines is going to continue in Hollywood (and I'm pretty sure it will, because that's what Hollywood does best with books and comics when they turn them into movies), then they should indeed stick to the comics. I must say I've received more thrills and enjoyment from reading a comic series straight off the pages, than ever watching a movie adaptation!

Wulfa_Jones
May 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Worse than Batman and Robin... it can't be true! That is the only film I've walked out of the cinema on.

I've not yet seen it, very busy time at the moment as in the last few weeks of college.

Well Spiderman 3 has had enough success for Fox and Marvel to confirm at least another 3 films.

This is what happens when the studio gets involved in the creative process. Why haven't studios learned to leave directors alone?

I don't blame the studio totally... Raimi always said he never wanted to do Venom and I think he just stuck him in there to shut people up. I think stuff like the musical scenes are all Raimi... I'd suggest a semi-reboot of the series, new cast, new director.

Amaunette
May 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I wasn't expecting much of the movie, so I wasn't disappointed. I had a good time, though, I still think it's a fun movie. I don't care if it's not exactly like the comics -- there's no reason it should be. Film and comics are different media, it is not surprising that their outcome should be different. On the other hand, I don't think they should make any more spidey movies. I just don't want to see any more. The only exception would be a crossover movie using spiderman with another Marvel character (Wolverine?) but I have no faith in the studios to do it well.

I would still see another Marvelverse movie, but I think they're already exhausted the most interesting subjects.